Alejo- Chapter 24

::CHAPTER 24::

{Third Person POV}

Ria stood opposite Alejo. Their little talk went a lot better than she’d thought it would. Hell, she was still conscious and everything. Setting the boundaries had been the best thing she’d ever come up with. Because of it she’d gotten the confidence to do a lot more than she would have dared to before.

The white room they stood in was a little too sterile for her liking. It was spotless and windowless but it was painted such a blinding white that it was hard to feel claustrophobic. Instead it opened the room up more.

“What is this place?” she asked after turning full circle and taking in everything.

“My art room. I’ve decided that if you’re going to know anything about me, we should start with this. My art.”

“There is no art in here.”

“Not to the naked eye, no.”

“Is your art really such big a part of you that you’d start with that?” she asked, “I thought you’d start with your military.”

“No. This place is more important to my personality.”

“Doesn’t really fit with the idea I have of you.”

“It does. You just haven’t realized it yet,” he said, “Everything in this room is a representation of me. From the actual room, to the art I make, to the glass box.”

“The wha—,” she stopped when she spotted it, “I didn’t even notice that there.”

In the very heart of the room was a large, glass box.

But it really wasn’t even a box at all. Not really. It more resembled a tiny room about the size of an elevator car. The walls of that room were so clean and streak free that she hadn’t noticed it the first time. It appeared to be invisible at first glance. She mouthed her praise at the illusion and walked over to it. It was a pretty thing up close. All sharp edges and razor lines.

“What do you do in here?” she asked touching the tiny hoop that made the door’s handle.

“I paint. Every single one of my paintings are done either in there,” he responded, “or a similar environment.”

“All of them?” her eyes widened, “You have this huge room and you only use this small one?”

“I enjoy the impact of being trapped inside against the feeling of openness that I get from the white room. It works for me,” he looked at the glass box.

“Trapped and free. That’s a facet of you,” she made a guess.

“Yes,” his eyes scanned the extremely bare room, “I have no problem with what I do but I admit, I’m trapped under this condition that ensures that I’m never satisfied or content. Yet I’m free to have, take and control whatever I want.”

“If that isn’t a paradox I don’t know what is,” she shook her head.

“I know. I have the means to have whatever I want and yet I will never have enough. Even if I had the world, it wouldn’t satisfy me. I do all and anything I can to keep myself interested in things but none of it lasts. I even keep my brother alive hoping that he could be enough. He’s only barely.”

“That’s why you haven’t killed Loki? For your entertainment?” she scoffed.

“Those of use will be safe,” he gave her an encouraging nod.

Ria turned back to the glass box and opened it. There was no way to get air into it. She couldn’t help but wonder how he survived not only the lack of air, but the paint fumes inside. Ria knew that she would have went a little mad if stuck in there for a long time.