Alejo- Chapter 28

::CHAPTER 28::

There was a split second of hesitation, but she did take a seat on the bed beside me. She didn’t say anything. All she did was brush a stray curl out of her eyes.

“Now when you say you enjoyed it, do you mean you enjoyed it or you enjoyed it because I enjoyed it?”

“There’s a difference?” she fiddled with the oversized t-shirt that she wore.

“A huge one. When you saw all of this, you said you felt what I felt. I’m wondering if you enjoyed it because you felt my emotions or if was what you felt all you?”

“I don’t know,” she shook her head, “I want to say it’s all you, but I can’t be sure. And I can’t ask why you’d do something so horrible because I felt it myself. I can see why.”

“You understand.”

In all of my years, I’d never heard those words. Despite the mask I wore that hid what I was really capable of, people still thought I could be no worse. That I’d done every bad thing possible. I hadn’t. I hadn’t come close. Even in private I’d held back for the sake of always having something not yet tried. If people knew that, they’d avoid me more than they already tried to.

No one had ever understood. They’d made excuses for me or rejected my nature, but this was a first. It was disarming. That in itself was saying a lot. People my age didn’t get shocked very easily. It seemed that Little Red was absolutely hell bent on keeping my attention in one way or another.

She had seen what I’d done first hand and she hadn’t tried to run away. Granted she wouldn’t have gotten far, but still. She hadn’t even tried. In fact, she’d come to me directly. Most would steer clear of me. Ria really was an odd little thing.

“My emotions are very low level,” I mused, “which is why yours usually leak into mine.”

“We went over that already,” she massaged her eyes, “The Pet/Master bond means that the one with the capacity for stronger emotions will leak into the other. That’s usually the immortal to the mortal.”

“Except my condition derails that,” I finished, “so it’s reversed with us.”

“So why am I getting your emotions all of a sudden?”

“The last time this happened was during our feeding. I think it’s safe to assume that this will happen when what I’m feeling is particularly strong.”

“Does that mean that what I felt is all on you?”

“We can’t determine that for sure,” I said, “It may or may not be.”

I was pretty sure it was all on me, but I didn’t want her to think that. I wanted to see what would happen if she thought she was capable of enjoying my little hobbies. It probably wasn’t very kind to toy with her mind this way, but I was curious.

Ria looked down, fingers fidgeting. She refused to look at me. I guessed she was ashamed. She – pious, sweet, virginal Ria – had found satisfaction in the depravity of a man she swore up and down that she hated. Naturally, I was as smug as ever about it. Not that I showed it. Starting a fight now would get me nowhere so I kept my face blank and my eyes void of any emotion.

Looking at her, something occurred to me. She was still here. We had talked, she told me what she had to and she knew all that I was willing to tell her. Why was she still here then? Sitting beside me as if she hadn’t seen me do something that was considered heinous and tragic from an ordinary perspective. She should have been nervous at least. Yet I didn’t feel her nervousness. Curious.