Alejo- Chapter 1

::PROLOGUE::

Weakness. It’s like that one friend everyone has. Nobody wants it around and you try to dodge it at every angle, but you can’t. Because it will always find you. It knows no boundaries and it refuses to accept that it’s unwanted. It will follow you around until it drives your sanity – that friend everyone wants – far away from you.

I was dealing with my weakness. I fought with it on some days and gave into it on others, but I was dealing with it. Pointed incisors glinted in the light as I watched the beautiful red head cross my office floors. I wouldn’t bite to Change. It was a silent promise as my eyes trailed behind her. She didn’t look in my direction once and her lack of attention caused me to fight a smile. My Pet is upset with me again. It was apparent in the downturn of her lips and the glacial look in her eyes. Her anger intrigued me on the most carnal of levels. No one ever showed anger toward me so openly.

No one would dare.

Rising to my feet, I crossed the room to meet her without making a sound. She turned and bumped into my chest but I barely felt the blow. She glared up at me, almost completely hiding her shock. “Did you want something else, sir?” she asked. On the surface the offer was polite and yet her tone held the promise of violence.

“I am hungry,” I replied brushing her hair behind her shoulders.

“I see.”

We weren’t on speaking terms, but she was still my Pet and Pets were there to feed their masters. She would not refuse me. Not even if it was her deepest wish. I looked at the long, pale neck and the network of veins pulsing with heat, life and blood just beneath the flesh. The creamy skin was pulled taut over the curve of her neck.

Cupping her neck, I lowered my head and caught the first whiff. Her heartbeat was an anxious flutter as the blood rushed through her veins. Baring my incisors, I pressed the pointed edges to her flesh and cut into it. Blood pooled into my mouth and I drank myself drunk. I resisted the urge to release the venom that, once again, threatened to enter her system. I refused to Change her. I was growing addicted to the human blood and I refused to feed on the blood of my own kind. I would not poison her body as much as I wanted to.

It was my weakness but I was doing my best to avoid it.

******************************************************* 

::CHAPTER 1::

A whiplash of light across the clouds. The crack echoing in the aftermath.

I looked up to the sky, a smile on my face that refused to dim. “Sociopath, they said. He’d never be fit to have the inheritance, they said.” I chuckled. The sound froze the tiles under my bare feet. “I hope they can see me now. All of them.”

The clouds were full tonight. The wind blew as though a storm was about to come but I knew better. I could smell it. The rainy season was nearing. Taking a deep breath, I inhaled the chill of the air. A smile tugged at my lips when I gazed down over the stone railing.

There was something about standing on this balcony, the tallest in the castle, that filled you with a sense of power. It was my favorite part of the castle. “No, not the castle. My castle,” I whispered.

My castle. It sounded good to hear myself say it. No one thought I’d ever own this place. It used to belong to my father and I was the youngest of seven sons and daughters. Under normal circumstances, I could have waited patiently but these were not normal circumstances. It wasn’t only impatience. Waiting for an immortal person to die and leave you your inheritance was time consuming, but waiting for eight immortals to die in succession was pure torment.