Alejo- Chapter 30

::CHAPTER 30::

I woke up to the oddest feeling; being…cuddled. I couldn't think of anyone who would even dream of cuddling me but here it was. Me lying in my bed with this tiny, warm body pressed to mine. Somehow she'd managed to get every line of her body to fit against me. Like a puzzle, really.

Ria's arm was around my waist as if it belonged there. And if anyone asked, I would tell them that it most certainly did not. I frowned a little. "Hey, you," I called. She didn't wake up. "You. Up," I poked her sides. She whined, sniffled and shuffled closer to me. "Lights on," I commanded, "Get up, Ria."

The room brightened and she complained with a hand over her face. I looked down at the rumpled haired, bleary eyed human clutching my bare skin.

Caroline didn't look like this the morning after sex. Nor Darla or any of my immortal lovers. Their hair usually stayed in reasonable shape and there was always something utterly perfect about them as they woke. Ria was the opposite.

She looked worn out, semi-conscious and mussed up. I laughed in spite of my previous irritation. It was pretty adorable, to be honest. Her lower lip jutted out into a pout once she noticed who I was laughing at. She rolled onto her back and the sheet shifted off her shoulders baring her chest. My eyes trailed down. "Good morning, ladies," I murmured with a kiss atop each breast. She swatted at my face, shooing me away.

"No. Sleepy. You tired me out," she grumbled curling into me again. It was as if it was the most natural thing for her.

I knew what I looked like and cuddling wasn't the first reaction my face incited. For perhaps the hundredth time I wondered what the hell was wrong with this human.

She let out a contented sigh and relaxed. I knew she'd be asleep again within minutes. With a light shove, I had her rolling all the way across the bed and onto the floor. There was a thud and a groan as she hit the carpet. I overestimated my own strength. Gentleness didn't come naturally.

I crawled over to the edge of the bed to peer over. "Get up and go shower. We're going out for breakfast," I said. She raised a hand, flashing her middle finger. "That's the spirit, Little Red." I left before she could start complaining again.

By the time I got out of the shower, she was sound asleep but curled up on my side of the bed. "Don't make me toss you into the shower again." She flew up and awake at the sound of my voice. Grumpy faced, she dragged herself out of bed and walked past me. Suddenly she stopped in her tracks,  stepped back, ran her fingers down my still damp chest and tottered away again with a pleased − if not sleepy − little smile.

Perplexing thing, that girl.

I decided to go for casual and leave off the usual blazer and tie. Slacks and a lapis button down shirt was the way to go. This was not like my first time going out with Caroline. There was nothing to trick Ria with. There wasn't much she didn't know about my mind. She'd slipped into the myriad of chaos in my mind and came out of it each time with the irrational ability to still be near me. The ability to give her own body up to me in a way she hadn't allowed another man. It was hard not to feel smug about that.

Standing in front of the mirror, I ran a comb through the still damp hair and let it air dry. By the time she came out, I was ready. The sound of a wolf whistle filled the room and I glanced back. She was leaning against the doorframe with a towel wrapped around her, skin dry and hair wet. She wiggled her eyebrows at me. Women of this era are comfortable with the oddest flirtations. I looked away rubbing at my oddly warm, slightly tingling cheeks.

"You are pleased."

"I like the way those pants look," she said eyes raking up my legs and behind, "with that shirt."