Alejo- Chapter 17

::CHAPTER 17::

With the outbreak of influenza in the church staff at St. Ann’s, Samuel had decided to go to his sister-church to lend a hand. Naturally, he needed me for transport because I couldn’t spare any of my men and St. Ann’s was miles away from the castle. Miles away from civilization on the whole.

Someone with an intelligence level so great that lesser beings such as myself saw their decision as utter retardation decided to build the church on a hill suitable for nothing more than a hermit convention – which by definition is a convention that is unlikely to exist. Only that highly intelligent person could see the merit in building a church that was so high up on an otherwise abandoned hill, that it was a wonder why there was anyone willing to trek up the bastard of a peak.

Looking around, I looked at the people seated in the pews. It was hard not to wonder if they too were on that level of intelligence that no one else would understand. Because surely there were other churches to go to. It was Italy. Home of the Vatican. Finding a Catholic Church to attend should be like finding a burger place in America.

No wonder they caught the influenza. It’s too cold up here for mortals. The humans are shivering like the rat-dogs people carry in purses. I was barely paying attention when I saw someone come over to Sam. He looked confused and took his cell from the person before heading to the back room.

Grabbing my things, I got up and left the place before going around to the back. There Samuel was talking rapidly into the phone. “What? When did you find out? No, I’m only just hearing about this. Don’t you think I would have told you? I…let me call you back,” Sam growled looking at me. I flashed him a smile and waved.

“You,” his nostrils flared. I don’t think I had ever seen him his angry.

“Have I been caught being bad?” I chuckled.

“You killed Giorgio.”

“Um…I’ve killed many people. You’ll have to refresh my mind. Who’s Giorgi—.”

“The town butcher,” he bit out, “Giorgio is the town butcher. He was a good friend of mine and an even better friend of Loki. Loki. You remember him, right? The one who’s bed you left the body in?”

“Ahh. Giorgio. Yes I remember. Nice guy. Offered me fifteen percent off on some sausage,” I stroked my chin, “Didn’t realize that he’d locked the door you see. Didn’t know I broke in. Thought I was a customer.”

“You just—,” Sam shook his head, “I literally have no words bad enough.”

“You are outside a church…of sorts,” I glanced up at the sham of a building, “Probably a good thing you can’t think of any. I doubt this thing can survive being hit by lightning.”

“I can’t even ask you to show remorse because you can’t,” he snapped frustration revealing itself in a tic in his face.

“If I could, I would. But alas, I cannot,” I gave a sigh for emphasis, “It is your fault you know.”

“How the hell,” he hissed, “is you cutting the heart out of a human being my fault?”

“Well I’m a proclaimed sociopath. It’s a condition. I was given my personality just as you were. I’m not entirely in charge of my actions,” I explained plucking lint from my pants, “But you have full control over your own. If you’d introduced me to your Bvendini friends like I had asked, I would have known who to avoid when I went on my uncontrollable homicide-a-thon.”

“You’re blaming me?”

“On the bright side, at least it wasn’t a family member. I imagine that would be tragic for you,” I made a face, “You really should have introduced me in retrospect. I could have filleted your great niece and not have known.”