(5) Teardrops and Butterflies

Teardrops and Butterflies

(Sequel to The girl in the attic)

Chapter 5

Preston’s POV

We finished watching the movies and then went downstairs to the diner to get dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Mack spoke to us a while and then we headed back upstairs. Katie took a long hot bath while I did my homework but I just couldn’t get myself to concentrate so I joined her. She laughed as I threw her with some of the bubbles and then she kissed me, moving so that she was sitting on my lap.

When she pulled out of the kiss, I wrapped her in my arms and held her tightly. I never take one moment with her for granted. I know how lucky I am to have her.

The bath took a lot longer than we anticipated but it was fun and when we were done we got dressed in our pajamas and slipped into bed. Katie fell asleep in my arms, holding me tightly while I just laid there thinking about how much I love her and how I couldn’t imagine my life without her.

That’s when I decided it was time to ask her if she would be mine forever. I know we are still very young, but it doesn’t matter. I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with her and I could only hope that she feels the same.

I started making plans in my head as to how I was going to ask her but couldn’t come up with one that was special enough for her. I fell asleep way after two in the morning but was way too excited about my plans to be tired when our alarm went off the next morning.

Katie woke up with a smile and hugged me tightly before jumping out of the bed to get dressed.

“What time did your mom say they are coming over?” she asked, looking at the clock.

“I’m not sure, she just said early so that she can help you,” I answered, pushing myself up into a sitting position so that I could watch her.

“You should get dressed then,” she said, looking over at me. I could tell that she was excited about my parents coming over but I could also tell that she was nervous and wanted to impress them.

“Ok, but you’ve got to stop worrying, they adore you,” I stated as I got up and walked over to our cupboard.

“Do you really think so?” Katie questioned, sounding hopeful.

“I don’t think so, I know so,” I replied. Her eyes lit up with happiness as a smile formed on her face and I couldn’t stop myself from wrapping her up in my arms and kissing her.

We were done getting dressed and Katie was busy getting everything ready to start cooking when my parents arrived. They greeted us both with hugs and then I quickly showed them our little apartment. It only took about a minute since the place is really small.

“It reminds me of our first apartment,” my mom stated, looking over at my dad as she said this.

“You’re right except for the fact that we had rats,” my dad replied, chuckling. Katie looked confused but didn’t ask anything. “We weren’t always as well off as we are now,” my mom said as she walked over to her.

“Oh,” was all Katie replied, obviously feeling a bit uncomfortable that my mom noticed her confusion.

“We met when we were really young, just like you two. After school I attended college and Preston’s dad went to university. We both had to work part time jobs but in the end it was all worth it,” she stated, smiling.

“I didn’t know that,” Katie replied, looking a bit more comfortable now.

“It was a long time ago, a few years before Preston was even born,” my mom replied, looking happy as she recalled the memories.

My mom and Katie continued talking happily while they started to make the food so I put out a few snacks and offered everybody drinks before switching the TV on for my dad. He is a huge baseball fan and there was a match on between two of his favorite teams so I figured that he would want to watch it. He looked really thankful as he took a seat in front of the TV. I sat with him but went over to Katie and my mom every few minutes to make sure everything was going ok.

When the food was done we all just sat and talked for a while until we decided it was time to eat. The roast was amazing and although Katie insisted that she couldn’t have done it without my mom I knew she was lying. She is a great cook, much better than my mom is.

After dinner my mom wanted to help Katie with the dished but I refused, saying that I will help her later. We talked for another while and then my parents left. When they were gone I felt both happy and relieved. Happy that everything went really good but relieved to have Katie to myself again. I am extremely greedy when it comes to her.

“You’re parents are really nice,” she said as I handed her one of the plates to dry.

“I guess so, they weren’t always this friendly when I was younger,” I stated, remembering how full of crap they were at a time.

“Maybe they’ve realized that you’re not a little kid anymore,” Katie stated as she dried and put away the plate.

“Maybe or maybe they just really like you,” I commented, making her smile.

The dishes went quick and soon we were all done. I could tell that Katie was tired from working all day so I ran her a bath. She looked truly grateful and while she was in the bathroom I switched on my laptop and searched for romantic places where I can take her to pop the question.

As I did this I could feel myself starting to get nervous but my excitement was way more overwhelming.

I found a few that I bookmarked but when I came across a butterfly park I knew I had found the perfect place. It wasn’t just an ordinary park where you could watch the butterflies. They had one huge ventilated glass tank that a person can go into and sit between the butterflies. The tank was filled with trees, flowers and it even had a little pond. It looked like something out of a fairy tale and as soon as I saw it I knew it was perfect.

I quickly took down the phone number and managed to switch off my laptop before Katie was done. I didn’t want her to have any idea what I was up to, I wanted it to be a perfect surprise for her.

We had school the next day so I quickly took a shower and then got into bed. As I held Katie I looked at her left hand and imagined how amazing it was going to look if she wore my ring. A ring that promised her that I would love and take care of her forever.