(14) Teardrops and Butterflies

Teardrops and Butterflies

Chapter 14

Katie’s POV

My eyes were burning when I woke up, my room quiet and dark. I slowly pushed myself up so that I was sitting and looked around the room. My heart was pounding in my chest from fear and sadness from what was going on.

Preston was sitting on a couch that was propped up against the wall, his head falling slightly to the side as he slept. I was glad that he was getting some sleep though. He needed his rest so that he could be strong for what laid ahead. I wasn’t quite sure what was going to happen but I knew it wasn’t going to be good. The odds are that I wasn’t going to survive this and although the thought of dying was nothing new to me it was still terrifying. I didn’t have a choice though, I could never let any harm come to our baby and if that means sacrificing my life, I would do it in a heartbeat.

“Katie,” I heard Preston’s familiar voice whisper and I couldn’t help but smile slightly. No matter how long we’ve been together I’ve never been able to get used to the fact that he loves me as much as he does. I never deserved him and I still don’t. He has always been too good for me.

“How are you feeling?” he asked as he got up from where he was sitting and walked over to me.

“Ok,” I replied as he sat down and took my hand in his.

“Are you sure? I could go call a nurse,” he asked, worriedly.

“I’m fine, don’t worry,” I replied, knowing that my words won’t help at all. He always worries about me and that is one of the many reasons why I love him.

Preston’s POV

She looked so fragile sitting there, staring at me with her big brown eyes   that I had to remind myself that I needed to be strong for her.  I couldn’t get myself to ask her to give up our baby though. I knew I to do it but deep down I already knew what she was going to say and I didn’t want to face the reality of losing her. I just couldn’t stand the thought and knowing that it was going to become reality was gust too much for me to bear.  So Instead of talking about it I just pretended that everything was ok and that everything was going to be just fine. I knew I couldn’t’ keep on pretending but it wouldn’t hurt to delay talking to Katie for one night.

I woke the next morning to the sound of Dr. Kremer’s voice.

“How are you feeling?” he asked Katie and I listened quietly to hear her answer.

“My head hurts a little and my body feels a bit stiff but except for that I’m ok, she answered sounding quite pleased with herself.

“That’s good, but we still have a huge decision that needs to be made. Have you and Preston spoken about what you are going to do yet?” he asked and I laid as still as possible, not wanting them to notice that I was awake.

“No, not really,” is all she said and that was that. Dr. Kremer took her vitals, advised her to speak to me and make a decision as soon as possible and then left.

I waited a few minutes before I finally pretended to wake up. I got up from the couch where I had slept and immediately walked over to Katie and wrapped her in my arms, holding her tightly but being careful not to hurt her.