(8) Teardrops and Butterflies

Teardrops and Butterflies

(Sequel to The girl in the attic)

Chapter 8

Preston’s POV

The next couple of weeks passed quickly and everyday was more perfect then the previous. Katie seemed ecstatically happy about the wedding and she and my mom has been emailing each other as they started making plans. School was going great and I couldn’t complain about my job. Life seemed perfect, that is until I awoke this morning and found Katie in the bathroom, throwing up.

My heart sank in my chest as memories of her being sick flashed through my mind.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I slowly walked over to her, trying to stay calm but failing miserably.

“I was nauseous,” she answered as she sat back against the wall.  She looked tired and slightly pail, causing my insides to twist. I grabbed a towel and handed it to her as I sunk to my knees beside her. She took it and was about to wipe her mouth when a disgusted look crossed her face and she spun to the toilet again.

When she was finally done throwing up I held her hair while she brushed her teeth and then insisted on carrying her back to bed.

“I’m feeling much better now,” she stated but that didn’t stop me from phoning the hospital and making an appointment for her anyway. I wasn’t going to take any chances with her health.

A half an hour later we were in the car and on our way to the hospital. I had booked off from work and although Katie didn’t seem too happy to be going back to the hospital she didn’t argue. She was trying to act like she wasn’t nervous and scared but I could tell that she was. Both of us were thinking the same thing. What if the cancer has returned?

Dr. Kremer was waiting for us in his office and greeted us with a smile as we sat down.

“What seems to be the problem?” he asked, looking from Katie to me.

“I was nauseous this morning and threw up a few times,” Katie answered, getting straight to the point. I could tell that she felt uncomfortable being back at the hospital and was probably trying to get it over with as soon as possible.

“I see, is this the first time it happened?” he asked, looking a bit worried now.

“Yes,” she answered in a shaky voice. I squeezed her hand to let her know that I was right there with her and she replied by giving me a small nervous smile.

“It could just be food poisoning or some sort of bug but we are going to have to run some tests just to make sure,” Dr. Kremer stated.

“Ok,” Katie agreed nervously.

Dr. Kremer made a few calls and then the testing started. I could tell that it was difficult for Katie to go through all of it again but it was necessary. If there was something wrong with her we needed to know as soon as possible.

The day dragged by and by the time they were done with all the tests Katie was tired and I was a nervous wreck.

“We’ll have the results tomorrow, would you like me to give you a call or are you coming back in?” Dr. Kremer asked as he walked with us down the long hallway.

“We’ll come in,” I answered before Katie could object. If it turns out that she is sick I want them to start treatment immediately.

“Ok, I’ll schedule an appointment for around ten,” Dr. Kremer stated and then we left.

Katie fell asleep in the car although the ride home was only a few minutes. It brought back some more memories and I could feel myself starting to freak out. I had no idea how I would cope if something happened to Katie. I’m not sure that I could survive without her.

I didn’t want to wake her so I carried her up to our little apartment and tucked her into bed before taking a long hot shower. I was hoping it would calm me down but it didn’t. Nothing was going to make me feel better until I knew that Katie is ok.

Katie woke up a few hours later, claiming that she was feeling a lot better. I was relieved to hear it but I was still nervous. We ate dinner down at the diner and then I told Mr. Mack that I was going to have to take tomorrow off again. Luckily we have a really good relationship and he understood how worried I was.

When we were back in our apartment Katie wanted to do some homework but I insisted that she gets back in bed and rest.

“You’re being silly,” she giggled as I swept her off her feet and carried her to our room.

“No, I’m being careful,” I replied, kissing her gently on her lips before placing her down on the bed.

The next morning Katie was feeling sick again and threw up three times before we left, ruling out the option of a bug. You don’t just throw up in the morning when you have a bug.

Dr. Kremer met us in his office and greeted us happily, making me feel a little bit better. He wouldn’t be this happy if there was something wrong with Katie, would he?

“We’ve got all your test results back and I can assure you that the cancer hasn’t returned,” Dr. Kremer said and I swear I have never felt so relieved in my entire life.

“What is wrong with me then?” Katie asked, sounding confused.

“Nothing is wrong with you, we did find the reason for you nausea though,” Dr. Kremer replied, the corner of his lip turning up into a smile.

“What is it?” I asked, wondering why she would be throwing up if there was nothing wrong with her.

“You’re pregnant,” Dr. Kremer answered, looking at Katie. Her hand stiffened in mine as a shocked moan escaped her throat.