Chapter 17

EDITED ON 21/09/2023

The day they arrived at Hogwarts was a Friday. So naturally, on the morning of a saturday. He was mobbed in the Common Room. "Happy birthday." A cheer was heard from in the room. Edmund laughed as he walked out from behind Neville, "Happy birthday!" The Hufflepuffs repeated, with a little less energy.

His birthday was the only one on the calendar for the first week of school? September fifth. Some of the first years stepped up and handed him some candy. "Ah, thank you." He was flattered.

A few of the older students clapped him on his back, congratulating him. Cedric came over and pulled him in for a hug. "I knew you'd get the damn firebolt. You impulsive buyer." He said, "With all that new speeds comes the need for a better grip."

Edmund let out a laugh and accepted the new gloves, "Thank you, Ced."

Neville gave him another present, "A new camera." Longbottom said, "You've sent those pictures from your vacation with Hermione, but I figured you needed a better one."

"Are you saying my camera quality is bad?" He teased and pulled the guy in for a hug, "Thank you, Nev." He said.

Then a piece of paper was pushed in his hands, "What is it?" He asked as he looked at the blank space on it.

Susan blushed, "Life is short, the art long." She quoted Hippocrates, "Say that in Greek." Edmund opened his mouth in silent protest that he couldn't. "You've used our paper as an actual paper, accidentally. We know that you know greek."

Edmund gave her a cheeky smile and said it out loud in greek. Then a picture of creatures appeared on it, drawn with charcoal. "It's a list of animals or creatures that you've seen before." Susan said and looked down on it, "You've seen a werewolf before?"

That got the noise of talking even louder, everyone asking where and how he was still alive. "In some town." He answered with a broad smile. "I'm just glad that this Basilisk can't petrify me." He teased Susan as they looked at the snake.

He was sure that he heard a whimper from Justin, which was a valid response. The day continued as Friday started. Some approached him with a gift and most just said happy birthday. Naturally he kept an eye out for his birthday enemies, such as Fred and George.

No more was he going to wear that damn crown for a whole day.

Hermione gave him a hug and a book that she had bought in France, he didn't notice that she did. Then she also handed him two ties, blushing, "From my parents."

In the mail came a new set of unbreakable vials for potions, from his uncle Snape. The man noticed his thankful look and just nodded before looking over at his other uncle Remus, who just called him over.

"She knew that you'd be speaking Greek at this point, especially if your Uncle Severus had a say in your education." Remus chuckled and slid over a leather bound book, just like last year. "I'm thinking she conspired with your other uncle to make you a scholar."

Edmund laughed softly and took a hold of the book, "And this one is from me." He returned his attention to his uncle again. It was a book full of medical spells. "I heard from my friend, Poppy. That you're both your mother and father in the areas of getting hurt."

Edmund chuckled. "Thank you, uncle." He said and took a step back.

"Don't forget about our appointment, Mr. Lupin." A voice called out and there sat Dumbledore, who had decided to join them all for breakfast. His uncle looked like he wanted to reply, even though he looked confused at whom Dumbledore was addressing.

"Of course not, professor." Edmund nodded and returned to his table, with three books in his hands. Then another owl flew down and dropped a small package.