Chapter 12

EDITED ON 19/09/2023

"The Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione questioned. Edmund deflated in his seat and nodded, they were in the library and the guilt weighed on his chest as his mind kept running back to the petrified Colin. His relief was immense when he saw Hermione at breakfast.

"Lucius Malfoy must've opened the Chamber when he was at school here, and now he told Draco how to do it. It's obvious." Ron said and Edmund rolled his eyes.

"That theory has been debunked, Ron." Edmund repeated himself, "They aren't related to Salazar Slytherin. The family tree of Malfoy doesn't branch out as much as Black." He shuddered as he thought of all the second cousins his ancestors had all married.

Hermione and Harry looked confused while Ron looked disgusted as well. The ginger turned to their confused friends and simply said, "Purebloods back in the day, were really desperate to stay purebloods. Well, then they got with each other."

Hermione and Harry grimaced. "I think that we should look back into the history of Hogwarts again." Hermione said, "The monster can maybe disguise itself." She theorised, "Pretend to be a suit of armour or something. I've read about Chameleon Ghouls-"

"You read too much, Hermione," said Ron. "You too, Edmund." He added as he looked over to the black-haired boy who raised his eyebrows at him.

"Maybe you read too little."

"Definitely too much." Harry laughed, Ron quickly followed. After sharing a look with Hermione, Edmund let out a little smile.

The school was tense and everyone was on their toes. Colin Creevy was attacked and was lying frozen in the hospital wing. That was the rumour that went around the whole school. Everyone quickly adopted the trend of Hufflepuff as everyone started moving around in tight-knit groups, scared if one were to attack if they were on their own.

Ginny was distraught. Normally, Edmund would only see her blushing face or barely anything of her due to her habit of running away. But she was distraught, the twins tried everything, even scaring the poor girl. The only time they stopped was when the prefect, Percy, was going to write to his mother that she was having nightmares.

Edmund thought it was bad enough that a talisman business started. November passed in quiet panic and December snuck up on them. The second week came and the head of houses visited their students to see whether they were going home or staying.

He had asked his uncle Snape if Harry could come with them to their house. But he had immediately shot down the mere idea of it. Then a week before they were going home, the duelling club started.

It was held in the Great Hall, where the long dining tables had vanished and a stage had appeared. Everyone was excited, carrying their wands. "I wonder who'll be teaching us." Hermione hummed, "Maybe it'll be Flitwick, he was a duelling champion."

"As long as it's not-" Harry began but groaned. Edmund turned around to walk out but was quickly pulled back by another. He turned to look back and frowned.

"Let me go, Cedric! It's a waste of time!" Edmund hissed out, "I can already do all of these-"

"You're here already, let's just see." The two Hufflepuff's turned to look at the teacher who happened to be accompanied by his uncle Snape. Edmund refrained from smiling widely, maybe it was worth staying.

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape." Edmund snorted, the only thing that sounded into the silent room. Cedric looked at him with an amused look in his eyes. Lockhart was smiling widely, "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about duelling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry." Edmund cringed. "You'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"