Chapter 4

EDITED ON 12/09/2023

Edmund was basically bouncing around the whole field, flying lessons were coming around the corner and he just couldn't contain his energy. He watched as their flying teacher arrived, her short grey hair made her noticeable but the most intimidating about her were her sharp yellow eyes, piercing you like eagles. She called out to them to get a move one and Edmund smiled brightly.

"Up!" Edmund commanded and the broom flew up into his hand. He watched the rest as they were attempting to command their brooms up, Hermione's broom rolled over on the ground, Neville's broom just twitched a little. "You sound too afraid, Neville." Edmund whispered over to his friend.

"That's because I am, Ed." Neville said, his voice shook a little at even the thought of flying around on a broom. "You've done this before, right?" Edmund nodded as he watched over at Draco, the Malfoy was scowling at their Professor who had corrected him for holding the broom wrong. They all mounted the broom and kicked off at the sound of her whistle.

Edmund could see how nervous Neville actually was in the way that the boy was fidgeting something in his pocket, trying to hide it away for safekeeping. Edmund hovered closer to the Hufflepuff, wanting to warn him about keeping his hand on the broom and say some motivational words and such, but his eyes widened as he saw Neville suddenly take off into the air.

For a moment, Edmund just gaped at the boy. He leant forward, wanting to go up and help Neville down but he was grounded by the hand that tapped his broomstick. Madam Hooch gave him a sharp look and Edmund immediately stopped, along with his heart when he saw that Neville was starting to slide off of his broom. "Madam-" He called out but it had already happened. The hand that tapped his broomstick was taken away immediately and she ran over to Neville's moaning body, she leant over to take a look at him. "A broken wrist," The woman muttered, "Come one, up you get." She ordered and turned to the rest of the class as Neville got up from the ground. "None of you move while I take this boy up to the hospital wing!" She exclaimed, "You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch.' Come on, dear."

Edmund gaped over at Neville with a worried expression painted over his face as he saw Neville's cheeks turning a deep red of all the crying, clutching at his wrist in pain. He followed them with his eyes as they walked over to the hospital wing. He was so distracted and worried over Neville that he hadn't noticed that Malfoy was laughing. "It's that stupid thing Longbottom's gran sent him." The Rememberball glittered in the sun as Malfoy held it up to the sun.

"Give that here, Malfoy." Harry said, quietly. Everyone quieted down to watch and Malfoy gave them all a nasty smile. Edmund snapped out of his stupor when he saw a flash of blonde hair fly away in front of him, the Rememberball reflecting in the light, in the tight grip of his hands.

"What the bloody-" Edmund muttered as he pulled his broomstick back to him, he climbed up into the air, not caring about any protests the class were having. He wasn't about to let Neville get bullied by Draco, someone he considers a friend of his.

Edmund had to blink a lot to keep his eyes from drying out as he flew throughout the sky and after the Gryffindor and Slytherin. "Draco, stop!" Edmund called out, one more he pulled back on his broomstick and climbed to hover beside Draco, who looked conflicted. "Why-" Edmund started but was interrupted as Harry was suddenly hovering right beside them.

"Catch it if you can, then!" Draco shouted as he drew his arm back and launched the glass ball high into the air. The ball was headed towards the ground, most likely breaking if it were to touch the ground at such a speed. Immediately, Edmund had set off after it, leaving the two boys to stare at him.

"Go back to the rest!" Edmund called out as he followed after the Rememberball. "I'll throw it!" He exclaimed. Harry seemed to listen to him despite him being wary of Edmund, alongside Ron. "Madam Hooch is coming!" He added once he saw a single speck of grey hair in the distance.