Chapter 10

"Detention?" Edmund repeated to Professor Sprout, sounding flabbergasted. "Does Dr- Malfoy happen to have detention as well?" He asked as he folded his arms.

Professor Sprout gave him a look and he immediately unfolded his arms. "I believe so, quite harsh punishment from your uncle if I may say so." She said and took a closer look at his bruise. "You might want to visit Madam Pomfrey, Edmund, I believe she has a potion against the swelling and the pain. You can't sleep with that." She then gave his shoulder an affectionate pat before she hurried down the corridor, to get to her class in time.

Edmund turned to look back at his friends only to see Harry and Ron with slouched shoulders and Professor McGonagall walk off with her perfect posture. Hermione was at the table eating lunch while she talked with Padma, she looked up and he waved, awkwardly. She gave him a small smile before turning back to the Ravenclaw and listening to her story. Susan and Neville were looking at him in concern.

Edmund just pointed at his black eye and then in the direction of the hospital wing. The two nodded and Edmund turned around to walk up to the hospital wing. The moment the doors opened he was ushered to sit on a bed. "Oh you," She said, concern laced her tone, "What happened?" She took a closer look at his eye, "Was it the accident proneness of your mother in you or the trouble, like your father?" She asked.

"Father." He said quietly as let the feeling of shame wash over him.

She walked around her turf with ease and rotated back to him with two potions in her hand. She had set them down before him. "I believe that it might be something you got from your Uncle Lupin." She hummed with a fond smile as she thought of the man. "I believe you didn't go out looking for trouble and were merely defending your friends, were you?"

He gave her a small smile, "Unpleasant words were exchanged." He just answered.

"As well as fists." She tutted and shook her head. She poured a potion in a glass and set it out in front of him, "For the bruising," She then poured in another potion, "For the swelling. I should warn you though, they taste quite bad."

He grimaced at the sound of the taste and just decided to get it over with and chug it. He couldn't describe the horrendous taste in fear that he might have to gag at the thought of it. At the other potion he gagged a little but held it in. Madam Pomfrey looked at him, "Have you eaten lunch yet?" She asked.

"No, Madam." He answered.

She gave him a small smile and led him to her office where they sat. "Your mother and uncle always visited me here quite a lot." She hummed as she placed a warm shepherd's pie down in front of him. They were sitting by a window that looked over the courtyard, students were running around but most were in groups, talking and laughing. Edmund had a small smile on his face when he recognized the brown hair of Collin running across the courtyard.

"Accident prone and protective came here a lot?" Edmund asked in an amused tone.

"Quite the handful, your mother was always getting injured during quidditch. Somehow she only got hurt during training." It was obvious that Madam Pomfrey had a distaste for the sport, Edmund could understand but never disliked it like she did. "And your uncle because of his condition."

"It's been easier to bear with it," Edmund said, quietly. "The potions that Uncle makes for him are really helping him. But they still send me away when it happens." He thanks her for the food before digging in, "He talks about you quite often," The matronbrightened at his words, "How you used to heal him, take care of him and walk him over to the Whomping Willow."

"Don't go visiting that place." She said mournfully as the two looked outside the window at the tree which was still, nothing was moving around, "Or the Shack. That place has history." Edmund just gave her a sombre smile.