Act 3 (Part 2), Scene 4

************

You take a sip of coffee from your cup. "So, what did you want? You better not be trying something now that Lance is gone..." You say disgustedly.

Rover puts his cup down onto its saucer and leans back in his chair casually with a sigh. "Well that ruins that plan..." He chuckles to himself. Gross... Just joking about something like that makes you feel uneasy. "No, actually—" He pauses and leans back in. "I wanted to ask you about what happened last night."

"Rosie, you mean?"

He nods. "That was quite a close call. And while I don't like that Tangy had to die, I'm happy that it wasn't Rosie." He looks down into his cup. "Ai... I wanted to ask if you'd like to join me in investigating the murders."

You're taken aback by his proposal. "Really?"

"Yes." Rover says. "With Lance gone, I'm short a man with investigating all of— Well, he didn't exactly work directly with me, but he was sort of helpful!" Rover says with a nervous laugh. "I think you'd be able to fill his role."

You look down at your cup. "You think so...?" You had considered joining the investigation last night, but hadn't given it much thought. There's still so much I don't know about all this... And now that I think about it— "Was—um... Kid Cat... He was one of the victims, wasn't he?"

Rover looks slightly surprised by your deduction, but then nods. "Yeah, he was..." He sighs. "That's one thing I have to warn you about; if things continue the way they have been, this won't be easy... You could get hurt, or worse..." He trails off. "For your sake, and for Rosie's, I'm worried that something might happen to you, so I ask you again: Would you like to join the investigation?"

You take a deep breath. "I— I definitely would! I want to help, no matter what it takes!" You say emphatically.

Rover smiles. "I figured you'd say that. Lance thought it was okay for you to help out as well. That... and it'd also help me keep an eye on you and make sure you stay out of trouble."

"Trouble, me?! You're kidding!" He's obviously talking about last night... "Look, Rover, I can handle myself. I just—" You sigh. "Last night, I freaked out a little."

"Just a little?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Okay, fine, a lot... But I just wasn't prepared for any of this. I think I'll be able to keep myself under control now that I know what to expect. I'll be okay." You suddenly feel a bit uneasy. Will I really be able to help? Doubts start filling your mind. What'll happen if Rosie really does get hurt? What if I get hurt? Could I keep control then? Your doubts leak out of your mouth. "... Won't I?"

Rover looks straight into your eyes. "Of course. I'll do everything I can to keep you safe." Rover being this nice feels too weird... "I mean, if anything did happen to you, I'd probably have to partner up with Booker." He shudders. "I'd even put up with you if it meant not working with him."

You roll your eyes. "Good to know you hold me in such high regard." You say sarcastically. "But thanks, I guess..." You figure he was trying to give you a compliment in his own way. Just the thought of it makes you feel nauseous. You decide to change the topic. "Anyways, do you have any leads so far? Or any clues as to who this killer is?"

Rover shakes his head. "Nothing to speak of. Each murder has left a cold trail. There are no pieces of evidence at the crime scenes that can point to any potential murderers." He scratches his ear with his left hand. "It doesn't help that the victims are seen the next morning leaving town!" He wipes his face with his hands, visibly stressed. "Who— or what— ever the killer is, they're good... really good."

You look down, disappointed. "So nothing... Huh?"

"Actually, that was one thing I wanted to ask you about. From everything you know so far, do you have any ideas?"

"Really? You must be pretty desperate to be asking me for help, especially since I just joined your investigation!" You say with a smug grin.

"To be honest, we are desperate." He rubs his temples. "Normally I'd be all over this type of thing, and be able to solve it, but this time... it's different. I have no idea what's going on. So if you have any ideas at all, anything we should investigate, I'm all ears."

You take another sip from your cup and close your eyes to think. One detail Rover mentioned comes to mind. "You said the victims are usually seen leaving town the next morning, right?" Rover nods, his ears twitching slightly. "The only way to leave town is by train, isn't it? Maybe there's something fishy going on at the train station; last I checked, the dead don't need to ride trains."

"That's true. I don't think I've checked out the train station this whole time!" Rover says with a grin on his face. He picks up his cup and gulps down whatever is left in it. Then he firmly puts his cup down and stands up, motioning towards the exit. "Shall we?" He seems excited by the prospect of a new lead.

You smile back, instinctively. "Alright, let's go." You finish your coffee as well, leave a small tip, and get up to leave with Rover.

——————