Prologue

2266

I could feel everyone's eyes on me and I didn't like it. I had never been a fan of award ceremonies, and I especially wasn't a fan of acquiring an award for myself, even if it was a rank up from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander.

I slowly walked up to the platform and put my hands behind my back as I stood at attention in front of my commanding officer.

"Lieutenant Theodosia Kirk. For your outstanding display of bravery. I grant you the rank of Lieutenant Commander." Admiral Parker said as he changed my badge.

"Thank you, sir." I said as I saluted him.

"Do us proud, Lieutenant Commander Kirk." He said as he gave me a sharp nod and than a salute of his own.

I stepped off of the stage and left to get packed for my new orders. I arrived at my quarters and quickly got to work on finishing up with my belongings.

I didn't have much, but I what I did have was important and I didn't want to forget a single item.

"Well well, there is our new Lieutenant Commander." A voice said with a laugh.

I couldn't help, but to laugh as I shook my head. I slowly turned around and smiled as I saw my best friend walking up to me, a giant grin on her face.

Joanna Lee McCoy, my seventeen year old, best friend and classmate. Joanna and I had met during our studies at the academy, where she was able to be bumped up two years due to who her father was.

"Jo, please don't start calling me that." I said as I let out a laugh.

She rolled her eyes and made her way to my side, where she wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me.

"You deserve that rank, girl. Own it!" She exclaimed as she shook me back and forth. "I mean come on, you are the youngest Lieutenant Commander!"

"Only because of 'you know what'." I said as I shot her a look.

"Fine! Fine, Moving on.... did your mom come?" She asked as she plopped down on my bed.

I let out a sigh and stared down at my suitcase. After awhile I shook my head and continued to pack.

"No, but I'm not really surprised." I explained as Joanna helped me packed. "Mom and me were never close."

"Her loss, you're amazing... sometimes I with I was a guy." She said as she let out a sigh.

I turned to look at her and sent her a look of confusion.

"What?" She asked as I raised an eyebrow.

"Why do you wish you were a guy?" I asked with a chuckle.

"So I could date you, of course! You're H O T and you are brilliant! You studied on Vulcan for crying out! How many people can say that they have studied on Vulcan?!"

"Well-"

"I don't want an actual number, I was joking." She said a share cut me off.

We both laughed as I slammed my suitcase shut.

"You know, I still can't believe we are finally being placed on a ship." She said as she let out a sigh.

"I can't believe it either." I said as I plopped down on the bed beside her. "I mean it's been almost three years since we graduated and they are finally assigning us to a ship."

"So I talked to a friend of mine.. and turns out you where specifically requested by three captains." She said as she bumped into me.

"Yea, I heard about that. But I think only one Captain was able to actually 'claim' me." I said as I shrugged my shoulders.