Chapter 22

I would be more than proud to say that even though I had that fear at the back of my mind, I didn't let it get over my mind. I can proudly state that I managed to dodge off some zombies at times too.

I was more than happy that I was now something useful to the group and not just merely someone who existed to be protected.

Yes, I would be lying if I say that I did that all by myself. Ofcourse, the others were kind enough to help me out whenever I stumbled. Taehyun stuck right beside me and even within these chaos, passed me a smile of pride everytime I lured away a zombie.

By the time we had managed to reach the intersection, my worries were fading away a little. Maybe we'd be able to get to the library. There were lesser zombies ahead of us, through the hallway that led us to the library.

But as we ran past the intersection, still fighting off the undead. I felt the absence of someone. I looked over my shoulder and noticed that Taehyun wasn't around. "Guys! We lost Taehyun!" I informed the others as panic filled inside me.

I felt my insides go numb at the notice of his sudden disappearance. The others stopped running as well. Their legs froze at the spot even though there arms were still busy fighting off zombies.

"What do you mean we lost him?!" Yeonjun whisper-yelled, while piercing a zombie's skull with a knife. "He's not around!" I replied as I slashed a zombie with the ice axe in my hand. Don't even question why we found an ice axe at the storeroom of our school.

Beomgyu dug into the heart of a zombie with his chainsaw as blood poured out of it and kicked the zombie away with all his might before stepping infront of me.

"I will lead the way back!" Beomgyu declared. "What if zombies captured him?" Hueningkai hesitated. "We've gotta check!" Yeonjun said.

And then, we started back towards the direction we came from in search of one of our friends. We had barely reached the doorframe of the first classroom succeeding the intersection when we noticed his absence.

We now merely had again reached the intersection when we spotted Taehyun. He was kneeling on the floor, facing the wall adjoining to the wall of the hallway where we stood.

We noticed that a zombie was lurking behind Taehyun and would attack him any second. I didn't think twice before grabbing a pocket knife (sharpened) from my pocket and darting it towards the zombie, aiming at it's forehead.

I could just wish for the best. For the knife to not hit Taehyun instead. For once, God seemed to have listened to my prayers. The knife had reached the target. The zombie fell back.

Yeonjun rested his hand on my shoulder as a gesture that I did well. But I had no time to take pride in something. "What are you doing?!" I exclaimed at Taehyun.

I walked a few steps ahead when it came into sight of what Taehyun was kneeling in front of. He wasn't a madman who was just talking to the wall, but he was talking to someone.

It wasn't merely just someone. I suppressed a gasp as I saw who it was.

His girlfriend, Hyemi.

I froze on the spot as though I had walked into them doing someone nasty. But it just didn't feel like to see them like that. My heart felt like it was burning again. My eyes didn't want to see this.

I was so overstruck that I hadn't noticed the zombies that approached from the hallway ahead. But the others weren't as much shocked as I was as they were able to remove their legs from the spot and sprint off to fight the zombies.

In the meantime, my eyes watched Hyemi who was on the ground, leaning onto the wall. She had stains of blood here and there over her body. Her clothes that were always ironed and looked too elegant for an uniform on her were crumbled and dirty.

She looked severely injured at places. Taehyun was examining all her injuries while looking like he was too stressed. He was searching for furthermore injuries with concern and shaky hands.

What a miserable sight it was for me! I hated to accept the fact but now... I was sure... I couldn't deny it anymore that I loved him... I still did.

And it made me hate myself that I was realising this stupid thing at this moment.

Taehyun suddenly stood up and faced the rest. "We need to go to the infirmary." He declared. "Excuse me?" Beomgyu kicked the head of a zombie that landed it on the ground. "S-shouldn't we go to the library?" Hueningkai hid behind Yeonjun as he noticed a zombie leaping towards him.

"Can't y'all see she's hurt?" Taehyun gestured to Hyemi. "I'm fine-" Hyemi's voice was strained and didn't sound as appealing as it always used to do. "I'm assuming there would be some first aid measures at the library, Prof. Namjoon must've made some plan before summoning everyone." Yeonjun managed to take down the zombie. "And you- stop hiding behind me!" He scolded Hueningkai.

"And what if there is nothing at the library?" Taehyun argued. "We shouldn't change plans now!" Beomgyu groaned as he struggled to bring down a fire extinguisher that was on the wall.

"You expect me to leave my girlfriend right here, then?" Ouch. Those words felt like a sword being pierced into my heart. "I said I'm fine-" But they looked like they didn't want to let Hyemi speak as this time Beomgyu spoke over again.

"You are being emotional!" He said. "You're being emotionless!" Taehyun barked. "You-" Beomgyu looked like he was about to use the worst curse words but was cut off by Yeonjun.

"Don't fight. We'll go to the infirmary. We should get ourselves some bandages too. And then we'll proceed to the library." Yeonjun helped out Beomgyu to bring down the fire extinguisher.

The infirmary was to the right of the intersection from where I stood. Definately not in the direction of the library. But I guess we have a change of plans now.

Yeonjun and Beomgyu managed to pull the pin and then use a good amount of it against the zombies that brought us some time. Yeonjun led us the way after handing the fire extinguisher to Beomgyu.

Hueningkai followed Yeonjun closely. Taehyun had picked up Hyemi in his arms in bridal style and started to run after Hueningkai.

"What are you doing?! Get going!" Beomgyu brought me back to reality. I shook off the thoughts and followed them. Beomgyu ran after me after he turned off the fire extinguisher but still carried it in his arms.

Here we were, having another random change in plans but the minor (major) difference was that I didn't have anyone holding my hand right now.