Thappad - the slap (6)

Just when I was about to give up, I saw a person. No not Nandu.

"Hello sir, could you please tell where are the members of this conference? " I asked a stranger politely.

"Sir, actually the conference ended yesterday itself " he told and I was shocked. I mean, then where is she? She is not even picking up the calls. I tried calling her again, but it ended up the same way as before. Straight to voice-mail.

" Oh I just remembered. The medical team went to a village camp. The place is 45km away from here" he told and I felt an instant relief wash over me. She is safe.

"Thank you very much. How could I go there? This is an emergency" I rushed him. I can't be without her anymore.

" The medical team has taken the buses. But you could take a local bus and change share autos until you reach there. Just be reminded, it is a remote place with no Uber or UPI " he told. I quickly nodded and got the address from him. As instructed, I reached the place after 3 hours. It was already evening. The weather has been pleasant so far, but for some reason, it started becoming cloudy all of a sudden. I saw people running for shelters. The wind was strong, as if there is a storm. Not the storm inside me. But an actual thunderstorm!

I was running like a maniac in search of particular someone. As though God heard my prayers, I finally spotted her. I ran towards her and just when we met, the intense rain began and everything happened in a blur. She pulled me to a shelter. An isolated place, as if an escape route.

"What are you doing here Manik?" She asked. I am unable to guess her feelings (reaction). Is she angry? Is she hurt? Or both.

Before words slipped out of my tongue, I hugged her as tight as possible. I inhaled her scent and it gave me a serene feel. Please don't push me away.

I held her face, as though reassuring myself of her presence. She is with me physically. Not just my dreams.

" Nandu, please don't push me away. Those 3 days without you were terrible. I am sorry for everything. The action and the words, which I shouldn't have uttered. I am really sorry. Everyday, all I want is your peaceful face and voice. I love everything about you. And I shouldn't have shouted at you saying your interaction is the least thing I wanted when in reality, all I want is hearing you, being with you, loving you and being loved by you. I missed you so much. I know, I am dumb at times. But I need you everytime to knock sense in me. I realised how emotionally traumatic it must be to you, after I raised my hand. I shouldn't have taken out my anger on you. All you did was being patient with me and I shouldn't have lost my cool, just like that"

I literally blurted out everything that was on my mind. She starred at me with wide eyes. Please say something Nandu.

"okay" Okay? What was okay? Has she finally accepted my apology?

" What do you mean Nandu? Have you forgiven me?"

"What do you expect Manik? You tell me, should I forgive you? " She asked as if challenging me.

"To be honest, I really hope that you forgive me. But Nandu, I also wanted to add that I will not ignore you like that anymore and spoil your day. You might have gone through a lot that day and I know, no sorry of mine will justify. But please, I cannot be without you. I will never repeat that sin again. I know, what it feels when you leave me. This time, you left me temporarily for few days, and I was feeling like a shit. I really can't afford to loose you again. I miss everything about you. I miss us. Please give a chance to win you back. I promise to treat you like the queen you are" I said honestly, looking straight in her eyes

"Manik. First treat me like a human being, no need for queen like treatment. I really hope you stick to your words. If you repeat any sort of this again, I promise you Manik, I will leave you forever. I will not stand in a place where my self esteem and respect is lost" she said and I could never be more thankful.

"Sure Nandini. Please be assured, I will never do that again"

And then, what she did surprised me. She pulled me in for a hug. She rested her head near my heart, and I rested my head over hers. It finally feels home. I am surprised.

As though hearing my mind voice, I felt her speak.

"What? I too missed you Mani. I am surely hurt, but the way you reached this remote place, just to meet me touched me a lot. You spoke your heart and I couldn't be more grateful. I will also assure you something. If you say you need space to clear your mind, I will give you time to relax and get back. I will not pesture you with questions. May be I triggered you, and I made you react that way" she said, and I was like what? No way.

" No Nandu, don't be like this. You were concerned about me, and seeing me down made you feel bad. Now I understand that my behavior made you ask me so much because you seldom see me down"

"Yes exactly"

" I am sorry again and truly grateful that you forgive me. I will not repeat this again as I vowed to respect my wife all times. I will never take advantage of you in your vulnerability. I will never shrug off your concern. If I need space, I will voice out and ask you, instead of giving silent treatment. I now know what it feels when your loved ones ignore you. I am sorry for this chaos Nandu" I said and hugged her again.

The sudden chillness in air made us snuggle closer. I nuzzled my nose in her neck, inhaling her sweet smell. She broke our trance and kissed me like no tomorrow. I was initially taken aback, but slowly joined her. We poured all the missings, longing, passion and love in a single kiss. But after sometime, she slightly pulled away.

"Manik, just because I said okay and we kissed, doesn't mean things are actually normal. No matter what, you shouldn't take out your anger on other person by raising hands or shouting at them or at worse, ignore them. What you did is WRONG and you have lost my trust. I still have a fear and it will not merely go away with your words, touches and kisses"

" I know Nandu, but still I am glad that you have taken this first step in forgiving me. I know it will take much time to earn your trust and forgiveness completely. But I will earn it, no matter what. Love you so much, jaan "

A/N:
Finally guys, this one shot oops short story comes to an end.

Hope it is okay and was upto your expectations. I didn't want to drag this any further. Had it been an actual story, it would have been different. Considering it a short story, I had to kinda rush up.

Please do vote and comment, it will make my day!

If you have any short story/ one shot ideas, let me know so that I can work on that as well. The story will be posted with credits given to you!

Thanks,
Lots of love ♡