IV. MIND OVER MATTER

The sun had just begun to rise when the three exited the cemetery, their clothes caked in dirt. Dean was silent with anger on the walk back to the car, immediately starting the ignition before anyone had a chance to put on their seatbelt.

Dean immediately began to drive in the direction of Dr. Mason's house, eyes trained on the road. Adelaide furrowed her eyebrows, wondering how he wasn't exhausted.

As the three exited the car and began to walk to up the house, Adelaide pulled Sam aside.

"Don't you guys, I don't know...want to sleep?" The vampire spoke, looking up at Sam.

However, he just shook his head. "We'll sleep when this is over." He didn't miss the concern and slight judgement on Adelaide's face as he explained, "we're used to it."

"God," Adelaide huffed. "When this is over, I'm gonna need a cigarette. Many cigarettes."

When Dean approached the front door, he stood there for a moment. Before he could make any rash decisions, Sam spoke out.

"Dean," Sam began gently, eyes darting between his brother and the vampire, "just take it easy, okay?"

Dean pounded on the door repeatedly, until it slowly swung open. Inside revealed a disheveled Dr. Mason, in his robe, as he tiredly answered the door. Once he recognized the three, however, he perked up slightly.

"You're Angie's friends, right?" He recalled, his words quickly cut off by the eager Winchester brothers.

"Dr. Mason—" Sam began gently, but his soft tone was quickly overpowered by Dean's loud voice.

"We need to talk." He demanded, his expression stoic aside from the faint furrow in his brow.

Dr. Mason frowned concerningly, opening his door. "Well, come in."

"Thanks," Sam spoke as he walked inside, Adelaide sandwiched between the two brothers.

Dr. Mason closed the door as everyone was situated inside.

"You teach Ancient Greek," Dean pointed out, an eerily calm smile on his face. "Tell me...what are these?" Dean proceeded to unfold a piece of paper from his pocket, handing it to Dr. Mason.

As the man held the paper in his hands, Adelaide took notice that they were the same symbols from Angie's empty casket.

She had the urge to smack Dean, and she had no idea what he had planned to do now that he was in Dr. Mason's house.