11

⚠️depressive shit⚠️

   The next couple of days were a blur, Chicago stayed in his house for the most part. Looking at the sky smoking most of the day. He would try to jog, walk do anything at night because he couldn't seem to sleep. He kept reliving his nightmares.

  "Ma, why don't we just leave this place- I can get a job and we can move out this city" Chicago spoke  as his mom tried to hold back the tears and cover her sons bruised cheek bone.

"Baby, you're 7 -  I'm suppose to take care of you, not the other way around" his mothers voice was smooth like honey. Her long  curly hair was now straightened as that was what whoever was her customer last night suggested. Chicago wasn't dumb- he was exposed to a lot at a young age and he knew his mother was a sex worker: although he often tried to act more innocent and naive to spare his mothers heart. He heard her crying at night and her prayers over her son when she thought he was asleep. How could he sleep? He wouldn't be able to until she was safe again each night.

  "But ma-

"No buts come here let me fix your shirt before you go to school" 

"I want to stay home with you" he asked like he did everyday. He wished she would've let him. He missed his mom, not to mention the kids at school were cruel- laughing at what he didn't have or how he sometimes stuttered over his words. the big browned eye boy looked up at his mother flashing his smile which was still missing one or two teeth. He tried not to loose a lot of them at once due to his mom having to feel like she should play into the whole tooth fairy thing. She worked hard and Gregory took more then half of what she earned. She had just enough to pay her phone bill, pay for Chicagos school supplies and clothes and enough for them to eat. Often times just Chicago to eat.

  "You have to go to school learn something so when I pick you up you can teach me" she hummed as she pulled her sweat pants over her bruised legs. Gregory often beat and had his way with a lot of the women.  Chicago often tried to stick up for his mother and the other ladies who were often like aunts to him. "Are the kids at school still messing with you?" She asked and he looked away. She put the coat on him and sighed softly. "When it seems dark- you find the light Chicago. Ignore those kids- you are the kindest soul ever and if they can't see it. Fuck them". She spoke and he nodded listening to every word she said. They walked out of the bedroom they both stayed in and a few other girls smoking and drinking were scattered around the house. "I'm going to drop Cago off Lu" she spoke to her friend Luiane.

"Aw nephew lemme see you" she spoke as she grabbed her coat ready to come with. "Looking so handsome- I'm coming too" the walk to his school was filled with them helping him spell for his spelling test that Friday.

"I'm gonna fail- I'm so dumb" the little boy pouted as he struggled to spell a word.

"Look at me" his mother leaned down and pulled her son closer to him. "You are so smart, you got this. You can conquer the world" she said as she zipped up his coat a bit more and kissed his cheek. "Don't ever doubt yourself- if nobody else believes in you know your momma does" she pinched his cheeks making him swat her hands away with a small laugh. "I love you, have a good day"

"I love you too ma"

Little did he know this was the last time he'd see her alive; the last time he'd turn back and look at her to see her smiling and sending him kisses. Even the last time he would see Lu.

He went to get his mail and let out a yawn, he's been running in two - three hours of sleep tops from the last couple of days and it was catching up to him. His bags darker then ever before and his eyes hung low, his twist which needed to be re did lazily covers his face as his light skin was moving towards the pale lifeless color due to his lack of eating or sleeping. He wasn't hungry- Grief filled his mind. The worst part was it was getting dark for him- the person who usually pulled him out of the dark place he told to fuck off so what could he do? Who did he have? Turning to go back inside his body hit someone's and he would've kept going but Bishop stopped the male- worry across his face. He hasn't seen Chicago since the kiss and that was the beginning of the week. In such little time so much had changed. He had just got back from his class- he only had one this Friday so he was in a generally good mood.