Chapter 2

"Please tell me you weren't about to jump, Trina? Please?" He asked almost desperately.

Why was Embry so concerned and how had he been close enough to pull me away from the edge?

"I—" I looked back out at the ocean with the storms quickly approaching. "I was going to..."

"Trina—"

"But I didn't. I changed my mind right before you pulled me back. Then the rock started to give way and you saved me." I finished. "Why are you here? Were you watching me? Does Jake have you tailing me or something?"

I watched as his expression changed to almost one of anger, then sadness.

"Jake doesn't know. He can't know." He spoke quietly, almost to himself. "I'm sorry, Trina. I need to—"

He tried to turn and leave but I grabbed onto his hand, preventing him from leaving. The electrical buzz returned. He turned and looked down at where my hand was holding his. What was happening?

"Why were you here, Embry?" I asked him more commandingly. "I want the truth."

He took a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair and down his face nervously.

"Can we take this away from the cliff at least? I can't—I need you to stay away from the edge. Even if you don't want to jump, you're still extremely clumsy and I can't risk you falling off. Please, I promise I'll explain everything...just not here." Embry nearly begged. I nodded to him and he pulled me toward the cover of the forest, only releasing my hand when we were far onto the path.

"Alright, I think we're far enough away. Are you going to explain now?" I asked him, needing to know what was happening.

He began pacing back and forth.

"Embry?" I asked, starting to get worried.

"I imprinted on you!" He blurted out. "When you confronted us at Jake's after you slapped Paul."

"Imprinted? What does that mean?" I asked him curiously, having only heard it from Jake when we'd spoken about it in my other life. I needed to hear it directly from Embry.

"It means that my entire being is connected to you. I'd do or be anything you want me to. Your safety and happiness are my first priority. My only priority." He explained, making my jaw drop.

Was this what the voice had meant about losing more than I knew I had? Embry's life was connected to mine? I was his first priority? Why hadn't he said anything before? It had been over a month since the encounter he'd mentioned.

"I wasn't going to say anything, but then you went and asked, and I couldn't lie to you. I can't lie to you." He continued.

"You weren't going to tell me that your life was connected to mine? Isn't that something that I should kind of know?" I questioned seriously. Had he imprinted on me and not said anything in the other life I'd lived before?

"I couldn't do that to Jake... it was okay as long as I stayed within proximity but not close enough for you to notice." He replied, looking downward.

"We'll come back to Jake. What did you mean by 'stayed within proximity'?" I asked.

"I couldn't—can't—be too far away from you for a long while. It would hurt us both." He mumbled quietly.

If he had imprinted on me in my other life, what would've happened to him if I'd gone through with the marriage or being changed? How had he been when I'd gotten back together with Edward? Should I tell him about what had happened to me? Would he think I was crazy?