Chapter 17

"Did you hit it?"

Chad nodded. "I think so. Shh, there might come another one." He kept the revolver at the ready, scanning the area for movements. Right now, everything was dead silent. Maybe their short exchange of words had scared every animal in the vicinity into hiding, but Chad waited all the same, knowing the rabbit he'd shot would only provide them with one dinner.

"Common, Chad. There will not come another one."

"Hey." Chads grip around the revolver tightened. "Keep silent, will ya?"

"But it is no use", Ray went on, ignoring him. "That bunny was quite big, so we will not need another one. Let's return to the camp."

Chad sighed. If there had been any chance of another rabbit emerging, it had definitely passed. He secured the revolver and put it back into its holster. "And what'll we eat tomorrow?" he asked as he went to collect the dead animal.

"Whatever we shoot tomorrow", Ray answered brightly. "You could show me that trick you talked about, if you want to. I know I have been awful with the revolver, but I'm sure I can learn. Maybe I will shoot us a bird? Or a deer, even? Or maybe you will do that. In any case, it is a matter for tomorrow."

Chad started to walk back to the camp. "Yeah, I suppose." No good could come from arguing, anyways. And the rabbit stew was tasty. There was no use denying that.

Ray walked beside him with bouncy steps. Ever since they arrived at the hollow he had blossomed into a completely different version of himself. Chad was surprised every day, and it all seemed genuine, which in some ways were even more surprising. Everything would be perfect if it wasn't for that one fact, which became more prominent for each day that passed.

"Can you make stew again?" Ray asked when they were back in the camp. "I know we have eaten it a lot, but it is so good."

"'Course I'll make it."

Chad sat down, reached for his knife and began to skin the rabbit. He found himself doing it quite aggressively, though, and even when he tried not to, he almost immediately resumed. It was not until he cut himself in the finger that he put the knife down. "Bloody hell", he swore, sticking the thumb in his mouth.

Ray looked up from the fire he was making. "You are careful, I trust?"

"Yeah, obviously."

"You are bleeding, though."

"Not much."

"But you are still bleeding." Ray put the flint and steel down. Suddenly his face had gotten serious. "You have something on your mind, Chad." It was not a question.

Chad used his other hand to rip the rest of the skin from the rabbit's body, and when it was gone, he began to cut the meat into pieces. "So what if it is?" he muttered.

He did not have to look at Ray to know his face had turned even more serious. "You are upset. Tell me what it is."

"Well..." Chad hacked through an especially leathery piece of meat. He did not want to be angry, but the more he thought about it, the angrier he seemed to become. He decided it was no use holding it back any longer. "We can't stay in this moment forever, ya know. It doesn't matter if we manage today, 'cause there'll always be a tomorrow. And a day after that, 'n a day after that as well. We can't ignore tomorrow forever, 'cause before we know it, tomorrow will be what we're dealin' with."

He did not look at Ray while he let out this stream of words, but he turned to him now. The face he met had turned grim and none of that happiness remained. "Why must you bring this up now?" he asked.