Chapter 14

They arrived at the foot of the mountain the next day, right before the sun had reached its highest. Despite feeling even more depressed than yesterday, Chad took respite in finally being able to hide in the shade. The empty, brown-red soil was replaced by grass, trees rose ever taller and denser the farther up the mountain they grew and the sounds of nature were welcome to the ear. They took a short break before they started to herd the cows up into the greenery.

But the light feelings Chad felt at first did not linger. There was no road in the mountain - not even a distinct trail - and the trees were steadily closing in on them. Until now Chad had not found the herding itself difficult, but now he realized why Ray had wanted to be more than two on the job. The cows were delighted to be in the forest, and more delighted still by the fresh grass growing here. Way too often they stopped just to eat, and since the trees and bushes were everywhere, it was very hard to realize when some of the cows had lingered behind. Within a single hour, Chad and Ray had to retrace five times each just to make sure all cows were still with them.

"Can't continue like this", Chad muttered to Russell when Ray galloped past him yet again to look for cows. "Should stop 'n make up a new plan."

He doubted Russell took note of what he said, other than 'should stop'. Ever since they reached the mountain, Chad had struggled more than ever with his mount. Like the cows, she was much more keen on eating than on walking.

As much as he wanted to make up a new plan, though, it was not as easy as it might have been. Not only because Ray passed him on the other side of the herd every time he retraced, or because Chad was worried that half the herd would decide to have the feast of their lives if he left them unattended. If I want a new plan, I'll have to talk to him.

So the herding continued for another hour. One and a half. Two. Chad was aching all over and sweating more than he could remember he ever had. When he was not cursing the cows, he was cursing Russell for being the worst teammate he'd ever had, and then he was cursing Ray for insisting on passing him on the other side of the herd. The fourth time Ray went back to look for cows, Chad decided he'd had enough. He gathered Russells reins and urged her forward, shouting Ray's name as he went.

Ray turned his head, but when he saw Chad coming towards him, he kicked at Onyx sides and disappeared into the forest. Chad cursed again, knowing he was too far away to catch up. He went back to his side of the herd. Have I been naked with this man?

He stopped looking for Ray, stopped keeping track of time. When the sound of hooves caught his attention he had not cared to listen to them for a very long time. But when he turned to look, it was Ray who came towards him. For some reason he was riding on Chad's side of the herd. Chad made up his mind. This time he would not try to talk to him. Let him ride past. Let him know how it feels.

But Ray kept riding straight at him, and when he was at his side he reined up. The look on his face told Chad something had happened. "What is it?" he asked, forgetting to be proud.

"You must come."

Without waiting for a response, Ray turned Onyx around and headed back into the forest. Chad followed, doing what he could to keep Russell moving. Thankfully she was a little more cooperative when in Onyx's presens.

Chad swept his eyes across his surroundings while they rode, but it left no clues as to what had happened. No cow seemed to have deviated this far from the rest of the herd. Then a distant bellowing caught Chad's attention. Russell also flicked her ears.

"Keep up", Ray said over his shoulder.

This time the chestnut increased the pace of her own will.

The next time the bellowing came, it was a lot closer. Ray turned a little to the left to ride past an especially dense bush, then leaned back in his saddle to help Onyx walk down a slope. After that he stopped. This time the bellowing came from right in front of them. Or under them, Chad realized. He dismounted, walked up to the pit and looked down.