Chapter 2

Chad held Lucy's mane in a firm grip, unable to let go - of shock as much as of fear. What if she was gone by the time he released his grip? His head was bent, tears dropping but not to his knowing. Pain slashed through his body, but it felt distant, not really part of him. The world around him had gone quiet.

That was why he didn't notice the presence until he felt a shadow fall on him. He looked up, definitely red eyed, to find the little girl from before standing next to him.

"I watched you", she said. "You didn't win."

Chad wiped his face with his spare hand, the other still gripping Lucy's mane. "Did ya now?" Judging by the glove that came back red with blood, he must truly look awful. He lowered his head a bit. "Sorry 'bout this."

"How is your horse?"

Chad inhaled, sniveled. "Not... not so good."

"Is it dead?"

"Not dead, but... I mean... she... I..."

Mary knelt beside him, studying Lucy intensely. Her golden braids were no longer braids but a flow of golden curls running down her back. She could not be more than six, Chad guessed. Seven at the most. "Where's yer friend?" he asked.

"Over there." Mary pointed without taking her eyes off Lucy. "And she's my sister. Is the leg broken?"

"I... I dunno." Chad had not dared look too closely, afraid of what he might see.

Mary turned on him. "Don't you know anything?" She did not wait for a reply. "We can't leave her here. We must take her to the side and I can bring Dad. He can look at her."

"Yer... yer dad?"

"He's a doctor. An animal doctor." The girl sounded proud.

A glimpse of hope rose in Chad, but he still felt miserable. "I don't know if she can walk. She's just layin' there 'n she's in so much pain. I don't wanna hurt her."

"But you want to save her, right?"

Chad blinked. The gaze in those green eyes was firm as rock. "Right", he said.

"Right. So let's go."

She got to her feet, eyes still fixed on him, clearly waiting for him to do the same. Chad gave Lucy one last pat, then let go of her mane to get to work on the reins. He took respite in the sound of her continued breathing.

While he untangled the reins from her legs, Mary opened the cinch and helped Lucy out of the saddle. Chad was quite impressed by her determination to help, as well as her strength when she single handedly carried the saddle to the side of the track, where her sister stood and watched. At last Lucy's legs were free and it was time for the moment of truth.

"Now ya need to be brave, sweetheart", Chad told her. "Be brave 'n strong, like I know ya are." He held the reins close to her mouth, positioning himself at her side to help her push to her feet. Lucy knew something was about to happen, for he felt her body tense. Mary stood at her rear, she too, ready to push.

Chad prepared himself, then paused and looked at Mary. "Ya think yer sister's willin' to help? We might need a few extra hands, or, well, Lucy might need 'em."

"Emelie!" Mary shouted, loud and high pitched as only a child could. "Cooome!"

But the older girl only shook her head and took a step backwards.

"She's stupid", Mary said to Chad. "As useless as the contents of a chamber pot."

Chad took note of that description and turned to the judge bench instead. That was where most people were standing now, squabbling over the money they had either earned or lost. No one was likely to help them, least of all the old, mustached man who'd waved at him before the race. He was the loudest of them all, his disappointed shouts reaching all the way to here.