Chapter 10: Partners in Crime

(Y/N)'s cursor hovered over the submit button, feeling as if she were about to throw up. This was it. Her final application to Sina University. Her entire future rode on this application. If she got in, she would make her father proud. She would get the best education she could possibly get. Behind her, Hange watched as she completed the application, their breath fanning across her neck.

"Submit it!" Hange insisted. "You got everything—the grades, the essay, the extracurriculars! You'll get in. I can feel it."

"Hange, I don't feel good about this," (Y/N)'s voice was soft. "I...What if I don't? What will I do then? I need to get in. I need this."

"I know! And you will!" Hange's voice was encouraging. Throughout the whole college application process, Hange had been better than any counselor. They leaned forward and placed a warm hand over hers. "I believe in you."

Those words were enough to spur (Y/N) on. Throughout her life, she had been a model student. She got good grades. She was the president of many clubs. Teachers loved her. Yet, never before had someone expressed pride or belief in her. It had always been Hange—her biggest support. And so, she clicked on the button, her breath catching as her application was officially submitted. She had applied to Sina University.

"Yaay!" Hange cheered, throwing their arms around her and squeezing her tight. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks!" (Y/N) grinned. "Now all we have to do is wait for our letters to come in the mail."

Hange had already applied a while back. They were the kind to either procrastinate forever or complete things the second they can. This time, it had been (Y/N) that had procrastinated. Her fear and anxiety related to her future was paralyzing...no thanks to her dad.

"Let's go get milkshakes," Hange tugged her to her feet. "My treat."

"Can you believe we're graduating?" (Y/N) reached for her jacket quickly as Hange dragged her out the door. "We applied for colleges. Next year we won't be considered kids anymore. We're grown."

"Save the existential crisis for later!" Hange chuckled. The two had exited (Y/N)'s house and were now walking side by side on the pavement. Hange's nose had turned red from the cold—they had forgotten their jacket again, hadn't they? The snow crunched underneath their feet as they trudged up the hill to the old diner the two would often go to. Were they insane for drinking milkshakes in the freezing cold? Perhaps. But that had always been their thing. Nothing tasted better than a celebratory milkshake.

"Hange?" (Y/N) asked softly as she stared up at the cloudy sky. For some reason, she was in a nostalgic and reminiscent mood.

"Hm?"

"What if we end up going to different colleges? Sina might not accept me or you. Or maybe we get accepted into two different schools. Do you think we'll still be friends?" (Y/N) looked towards Hange. Their shoulders were hunched up to their ears, their eyelashes dusted by a few flakes of snow. When had it started to snow? (Y/N) hadn't noticed.

"Of course," there was no doubt in Hange's voice. "You're my partner in crime. We've got to stick together. Or else."

(Y/N) smiled ruefully. "We used to say that when we were kids. We're practically adults."

"And this is my practically adult answer!" Hange's eyes were so warm and inviting, their smile contagious. They reached out and seized her hand, squeezing it twice. "Regardless of where we get accepted, I'll follow you anywhere. I can learn at any college."

(Y/N) stopped, staring at Hange in confusion. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"We applied to the same schools, (Y/N)," Hange grinned. "We're both bound to be accepted in one of them. And whatever your choice is, I'll follow you there."