Chapter 28: Unwelcome Realizations

(Y/N) didn't know how she ended up in this situation. She had barely blinked, and her entire group had dispersed in pairs, off to see their own rides. Sasha had dragged Mikasa over to the food stalls, determined to try everything there. Yelena had insisted that Pieck join her in the roller coaster ride. Ymir had promised Historia that she would be able to win one of the stuffed animal prizes in the dart game. And Erwin and Levi...(Y/N) wasn't even sure where they went. Somewhere quiet and peaceful to escape the hubbub for sure.

And that just left (Y/N)...and Hange.

The person she wanted to avoid the most right now.

"I can't believe they all left us," Hange sighed. "So much for sticking together as a group."

"Tell me about it," (Y/N) grumbled, annoyed. She didn't want to be alone with Hange.

"I guess we have no choice but to wander this place by ourselves," Hange adjusted their glasses, looking over to some of the rides. "Would you care to ride one of these rides with me?" They asked, looking at her expectantly.

Why are you being nice to me? Why are you overlooking the mistakes I've made in our past? Be angry again.

"Sure," (Y/N) swallowed back the real answer that she wanted to give. "Which ride did you want to go on?"

"How about that," Hange pointed to the Ferris wheel. "I've heard the view from the top was amazing...and I doubt either Levi or Erwin would accompany me there. Why don't we head over there and we can discuss where we last left off with Floch?"

Right. The whole revenge plan. There was still that to discuss. Hange was only being courteous to discuss their previous plan and the results that it had yielded. Now that (Y/N) thought about it, she had been so wrapped up with what Yelena had said, along with preparing her materials for the symposium, that she had forgotten to follow up with how Floch was being treated by the media.

"Got any updates?" (Y/N) asked as she fell into pace with Hange. The two were heading towards the line that curved up to the Ferris wheel. The people in line seemed to all be...couples. (Y/N) ignored that. She was not here to ride the Ferris wheel with her partner. No, she was here to secretly conspire over the revenge plan she had made.

"Well," Hange hummed as they stood behind the last person in the line. "There's been quite an uproar online discussing how Floch is a good for nothing slanderer, and how behavior like that shouldn't be tolerated in the Brain Games."

"Good," (Y/N) nodded, satisfied. Floch's reputation should plummet. She hoped that he was as miserable as all the girls he'd hurt before. "What about his participation in the games? Is he still a contestant?"

Hange sighed. "Unfortunately, yes. They haven't removed him yet, and as for the unviable samples...I have yet to hear anything about that. I have no idea what his reaction to his project being completely messed up would have been. He's been radio silent since that day—he hasn't even posted on his social media."

"Maybe he has enough braincells to realize the best move would be to lay low," (Y/N) shook her head, amused. The line to the Ferris Wheel was moving slowly, and she hoped that it would speed up. In the horizon, the sun was at its descent, the golden and orange rays cascading in the sky. She had always thought of parks and fairs as more fun after the sunset. Walking around in the dark, smelling popcorn, and feeling tired after a day's worth of activities was a vibe.

Except she didn't want to experience this vibe with Hange. She glanced over at them, feeling even more uncomfortable.

"Perhaps," Hange chuckled. "But whatever it is, our work is done now, isn't it?"