Mood Swings Pt 2

Abrupt changes in mood, or "mood swings," aren't always a cause for concern. Rapid shifts triggered by periods of stress or transition, for example, are often temporary. Persistent fluctuations could be related to an underlying condition and may be managed with treatment.

It's natural to have days when you feel sad or overjoyed. Shifts in mood that do not affect your day-to-day life on a regular basis are generally considered typical.

But if you frequently have large shifts in mood, like from intense happiness or euphoria to deep sadness or despair, it could be a sign of something more serious.

Several mental, emotional, and physical health conditions can affect your mood. Substance use, including alcohol and nicotine, can also play a role.

So can prescribed medications, even when used as directed. It's important to remember that mood changes aren't always a sign of misuse.

Mental health conditions can affect how you feel, think, and behave.

Some , like clinical depression and bipolar disorder, are considered mood, or affective, disorders.

encompass a wide range of conditions, including the following:

is often characterized by long periods of low mood, hopelessness, and fatigue., formerly known as dysthymia, is considered less severe than MDD, though symptoms typically last for 2 years or more., also called seasonal affective disorder (SAD), typically occurs during the summer or winter months. occurs during pregnancy. occurs after giving birth., which is typically only diagnosed in adolescents, involves outbursts that aren't on target with their .

can also cause intense shifts in mood, energy levels, and behavior. There are three types:

bipolar l disorder, which is characterized by the appearance of one or more episodes of bipolar ll disorder, which is characterized by the appearance of one or more episodes of and one or more episodes of , or cyclothymia, is characterized by symptoms of mania and depression that are less severe than what would be considered an episode

Some mood disorders, like , result from hormonal fluctuations during your overall menstrual cycle.

Other mental health conditions can also affect your mood, even if they're not considered . 

Mental health conditions can be treated, often through , , and certain .

Physical health conditions, especially chronic or terminal illnesses, can also affect mood.

This could be a direct result of changes in the body — hormonal fluctuations during and , for example, can affect your mood — or indirectly by triggering feelings of anxiety or depression.

If you notice new or worsening symptoms, it's important to consult your healthcare professional. They may be able to recommend a new treatment or connect you with .

Sometimes, medications used to treat an underlying health condition can unintentionally affect your mood. , for example, an uptick in feelings of agitation and anxiety.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) associated with depression, though more research is needed to understand the potential relationship.

Steroid medications are of intense or unexpected changes in mood.

Anabolic-androgenic steroids can also , especially if they're misused.

Be sure to consult your prescribing clinician if these feelings persist or worsen. They may be able to recommend an alternative and can help you safely taper off your current medication.

It's important to transition off of medication with medical supervision. Avoid decreasing or discontinuing use before you can consult your healthcare professional.

Smoking cigarettes, vaping nicotine, or using other nicotine products feelings of irritability and anxiety.

These feelings may be temporarily relieved by ingesting more nicotine — fulfilling the craving — but the underlying effects, or symptoms of , will resume shortly thereafter.

The same can be said for , regardless of whether it's .

Mood changes that disrupt your ability to navigate your daily activities or responsibilities could be cause for concern, especially if you're unsure of the underlying reason.

This might look like:

difficulty falling asleep or , interfering with your commitments at home, work, or schoolprolonged disinterest in things that would typically , including social activities or hobbies or engaging in risk-taking behaviors outside of your usual routine, like spending money set aside for your rent or mortgage on a last-minute vacation or online shopping spreehaving or suicide, or

A healthcare professional can work with you to determine why you feel this way and what you can do to resolve it.

Depending on the circumstances, it might be helpful to around you when you experience a shift in mood. Reflecting on past changes in mood may also be informative.

This can help your clinician assess whether a specific event, environment, or other lifestyle factor triggers your symptoms.