Jobs Pt.1

1. Ask specific questions

Asking people for "advice" might not yield the results you're searching for. You'll get farther with a specific inquiry in mind.

2. Ask about their experience

While it's likely everyone you know will have something valuable to offer, the best advice will come from people who have personal experience to draw on.

3. Invest in the relationship

Thoughtful advice could come from anywhere. People could drop life-changing advice at an after-work happy hour. But instead of leaving it to chance, ask someone to mentor you or hire a career coach.

1. Create a vision statement

What do you want to do? What will your career look like, and what impact will it make? Once you understand your , you'll be in a better position to choose work you love. Use your vision statement as inspiration to .

2. Find out what your career will look like

No is without challenges. Jane Fonda said, "If the career you have chosen has some unexpected inconvenience, console yourself by reflecting that no career is without them."

You can learn more about what your career path will really look like by . Apply for internships, attend , or go to to learn if you'll be satisfied with the job's day-to-day.

3. Learn as much as you can

is a critical part of career growth. Take advantage of to learn as much as you can. Ask questions and get to know people across the organization. Try someone to learn what their role is like. You can also try reading some to help absorb expert advice.

4. Don't be afraid to say no

I firmly believe that opportunities can come from anywhere — but if your gut says no, listen. Don't feel pressured to take a job that feels out of alignment with what you want for yourself. Sometimes, it's better to than to get blown off course.

Advice for advancing in your career

"In chaos, there is opportunity. Most major career accelerations happen when someone steps into a mess and makes a difference." — , Leadership Coach

5. Work with a coach

Every . After all, research shows that . Working with a coach makes it easier to identify your strengths and spot areas of development. It helps you develop .

Think about how might be able to help you in your professional journey.

6. Plan ahead

If you've had any experience at all in the working world, you've probably started to identify what you want — and . Make use of this information to shape your career. Take it into account when you're doing your (which should happen at least once a year).

7. Stay on your edge

Once you feel like you're developing mastery of your role, take a look at the bigger picture. Talk to others and read what people have to say about the future of your industry. Identifying where you can stay on your edge by or taking chances can make all the difference in your career.

8. Avoid burnout

Contrary to the age-old advice, your early working years aren't the time to "grind it out." says: "I have yet to see anybody do a good job of slowing the inertia of a grind habit they established in their youth." Building the — and protecting it — early helps to insulate against .

9. Reflect

It's easy to get wrapped up in the emotions of the job you dislike. But hating a job can actually tell you a lot about what you want out of your career. Instead of focusing on what you don't like, write out what a day in the life of your dream job looks like. What kind of work are you doing, and who are you doing it with? Is there anything you do like about your current role, and how can you shift to to do?