SEXUAL ASSAULT PT.2

The aftermath of rape and sexual trauma

Sexual violence is shockingly common in our society. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 1 in 5 women in the U.S. are raped or sexually assaulted at some point in their lives, often by someone they know and trust. In some Asian, African, and Middle Eastern countries, that figure is even higher. And sexual assault isn't limited to women; many men, boys, and transgender people suffer rape and sexual trauma each year.

Regardless of age, gender, or orientation, the impact of sexual violence goes far beyond any physical injuries. The trauma of being raped or sexually assaulted can be shattering, leaving you feeling scared, ashamed, and alone or plagued by nightmares, flashbacks, and other unpleasant memories. The world doesn't feel like a safe place anymore. You no longer trust others. You don't even trust yourself. You may question your judgment, your self-worth, and even your sanity. You may blame yourself for what happened or believe that you're "dirty" or "damaged goods." Relationships feel dangerous, intimacy impossible. And on top of that, like many rape survivors, you may struggle with , , and .

It's important to remember that what you're experiencing is a normal reaction to trauma. Your feelings of helplessness, shame, defectiveness, and self-blame are symptoms, not reality. No matter how difficult it may seem, with these tips and techniques, you can come to terms with what happened, regain your sense of safety and trust, and learn to heal and move on with your life.