Marriage Pt.2

Who hasn't rolled their eyes at such well-meaning but trite aphorisms as "Say sorry even if you don't mean it" or "Don't go to bed angry"? These phrases tend to spill out of people's mouths around weddings and anniversaries but are barely helpful. True, lived-in advice for a long, isn't so tidy because neither are relationships.

So, what is some honest, authentic marriage advice from couples who've been through the long haul? We recently asked 25 people who have been married for 25 plus years about what makes their relationship work. Clichés didn't enter the equation. Instead, their answers reflected a simple truth: long-term relationships are both easy and hard, made better by honesty, fun, and a shared

They urged communication and clarity. They underscored the importance of shared meals and spicing things up with jokes. They emphasized appreciation and attention to detail. Here's what's helped them stay together for the long run.

1. Accept and Allow

"This is a mantra I picked up early on in our marriage, and it's one my husband and I have come to live by. I forget where I heard it, but it's basically a nice way of saying, 'You knew who your partner was when you got married, and you can't change them.' There were many things I wished I could change about my husband after we'd been married for a little while. But I realized I loved him, and it was a waste of time to dwell on them. I needed to accept him for who he was, and allow him to be himself. That doesn't mean we can't get upset, or voice concerns. It just means that we're committed unconditionally to the person we married, even when they drive us crazy." – Lynne, 62, Florida (married 31 years)

2. Imagine Life Without Your Partner

"My wife and I talk about this all the time. We imagine what our toughest days would be like without each other. Truthfully, we always agree that we'd make it through. Realistically, we're each independent and strong enough that we'd be fine. But, it would be terrible. That's the takeaway: life would be possible without each other, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun, special, or full of great moments. It's not uncommon for us to ask each other, 'Can you imagine if I wasn't here?' The answer is usually some variation of, 'Yeah. It would suck. I'm glad you are.'" – Jerry, 56, Maryland (married 30 years)

3. Crack Jokes

"We got married when we were both almost 40, and our sense of humor has gotten more juvenile every year. Maybe it's just us, but I don't think so. We laugh at rude noises. We roll our eyes at each other's terrible jokes. We love raunchy movies. It's just that primitive, human sense of humor we both have. So many couples seem to lose that the longer they stay married. There's this weird pressure to become more civilized or dignified as you get older. We never got that memo, it seems. And when it's just the two of us, we're usually cracking up. We've stayed in love so long because we're too busy laughing to be fighting." – David, 68, Michigan (married 30 years)

4. Don't Be So Damn Stubborn

"Don't insist on. It's never not worth it. What you think is a fundamental, bedrock principle might actually be just a personal preference not worth having a spat or holding a grudge about. Be open to that possibility. Even if you get your way, it will take a toll. And if you agree to something, abide by the mutual decision. is also not worth getting your way. We've learned to be responsible for and take ownership of our decisions and actions, and we always try to avoid criticizing or guilting. It never helps. Instead, we try to have constructive conversations about specific behaviors that might be troubling, and we're each willing to listen to each other's concerns – even if they seem trivial." – Claude, 68 (married 33 years)

5. Choose Your Own Adventure

"My marriage has never been easy but it's always been an adventure. Best advice I can give — getting married is like going to a theme park. Know who you are and what ride you want to go on. If you want to go on the carousel (stability and serenity) marry that. If you want to go on the roller coaster (risk and adventure) don't marry someone who's afraid of speed and heights. The key is to know yourself and what you want before you pledge yourself to a partnership. Then, once you've found your match, run your marriage like a good company. Identify each person's strengths and weaknesses, and delegate those responsibilities accordingly.." – Kathleen, 57, Nebraska (married 31 years)