41 - To Contain A Curse Part 2

"Are you sure that he'll be fine?" Maddie asked as she and Reina slipped out of the room they were hiding in.

Crow had gone out a few minutes before them to distract the dragon that was roaming their area in the mansion.

Reina closed the door behind them. "He better be."

"What do you mean by that?" Maddie asked as they began to make their way towards Raven's room.

"Remember when I told you that he once flew through the flames blown by a fire-breathing dragon?"

Maddie nodded. "Yes?"

"That dragon was Raven," Reina continued, keeping her eye on the hallway before them. "In fact, he looked like he was almost cooked all the way through. But he denied that."

"Maybe he's resistant to magic?" Maddie suggested. "It is a curse after all."

Silence fell upon them as they continued their moderated run.

Maddie could tell that the woman was still hiding something regarding the curse, but she does not know how to ask her about it.

They soon arrived in Raven's room.

Reina stepped towards Raven's desk to get the potion and then swirled its contents around.

Lightning struck outside as a distant roar  echoed through the mansion.

"You're unusually quiet," Reina commented as she looked at Maddie. "Do you still have something to ask?"

Maddie reluctantly shook her head.

"Well, I do have a couple of questions in mind," a new voice sounded from behind Maddie.

Darling and Cerise were standing by the doorway, and they came to join them.

"What are they, Ms. Charming?" Reina asked.

"First, what is that potion for?" Darling asked.

"An alternative method that can be used to turn my daughter back into her normal state," Reina responded, seemingly tensed.

Darling crossed her arms. "And second, who was it that cursed Raven?" she questioned.

Maddie turned to face the woman, eager to know the answer as well.

But Reina looked down. "I'd rather spare you from the truth if it means that you will not act upon it."

"We'll definitely act upon it if you don't tell us," Cerise added. "We're willing to help you with this, but we won't unless you answer that question."

"Are you accusing me of cursing my own daughter?" Reina asked.

"We aren't," Darling spoke. "But if we're going to help you, you have to tell us who."

Maddie watched as the woman stared at the filled flask in her hands, seemingly contemplating whether she would answer the question. But then, the woman looked up at the two girls by the doorway.

"I have no proof yet," Reina began, "but the only person who will ever go this far would be…"

Right after she said the name, lightning struck once more as the rain poured much heavier than before. It was as if nature could not also believe that accusation.

And Maddie could have sworn that she felt the ground shake for a moment.

She then turned to the two girls by the doorway. Darling and Cerise seemed stricken as well.

But not until Crow came crashing inside the room. His feathers were burnt as smoke came out of them.

"W-we have a problem…" he said.