40 To Contain A Curse Part 1

Maddie was frozen in place, staring at the dragon that was charging right at them.

'T-that can't be Raven…' she thought.

"RUN!" Cerise yelled as Reina grabbed Maddie by the arm and pulled at her. Pulling Maddie out of her trance as well.

Just then, fire blew right where she once was.

Maddie swallowed the lump in her throat as she let herself get dragged by Reina.

The five of them rushed to the end of the hallway of the second landing, reaching an intersection.

The dragon, who was Raven, followed them close behind.

"We have to split up!" Darling quickly suggested, pulling Cerise with her to the hallway to the left.

At that, Reina pulled Maddie to the hall at the right, with Crow flying close behind. And then huddled themselves into a storage room.

Raven let out a roar, though distant from where they currently are.

"I hope Cerise and Darling are alright," Maddie mumbled as she looked at the door.

"They will be fine," Reina assured.

"We only met once before, but I know that Darling is skilled in combat. Especially when it comes to swords," Crow voiced out.

Maddie turned to him. "But she doesn't have a sword. And that dragon is Raven."

"Right…" Crow spoke in realization. "She can't hurt her."

Maddie turned to Reina. "Why didn't you tell me that she was cursed?"

Reina looked down and sighed. "Look, kid, I really don't want you to meddle around with my life affairs--"

"That is what got us here, Your Highness," Crow interrupted sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Don't you trust me?" Maddie asked.

"I do," Reina responded. "I just don't… I just don't want you to get scared or anything."

"Then why didn't she tell me?" Maddie asked, looking down. "Doesn't she trust me as well? I… I thought we were friends…"

Maddie's vision started to cloud as tears formed in her eyes.

Lightning struck outside the house, followed by a loud crash of thunder. And then followed by an ominous roar from the other side of the mansion.

A hand on her shoulder pulled her out of her trance. She looked up and saw Reina with her brows furrowed in concern.

"You are friends," Reina tried to comfort her. "And she does trust you. It's just that… she was under the impression that she's already been cured."

"What?!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down, kid," Crow hushed.

"H-how…?" Maddie asked.

Reina sighed. "The curse has not reared its ugly head for years. And by that 'ugly head', I meant the transformation. That part of the curse was contained by an enchanted object."

The woman then shot a glare at Crow.

"An enchanted object that is now destroyed because of you," Reina continued.

"Why am I the--" Crow began.

"Because if you had not borrowed that necklace, she would have been perfectly fine right now!" Reina interrupted.

Lightning struck outside, and the rain became heavier.

Maddie blinked at the two adults. Until realization hit her.