[48] Woodbury

The faint, orange glow illuminating the town, to anyone else would have looked beautiful, but crouched behind a car just outside of the walls, it was uncanny. Faint shadows strolled back and forth along the top of the wall, their features only visible due to the bright light that shone down into the road next to me. If they had been moving it, adjusting every so slightly, they would have seen us.

Part of me didn't believe Michonne when she told us how many people were there, but seeing it now, how big the walls were, how they stretched out in each direction made me understand just what she was talking about.

Rick placed his hand on the car, his arm just in front of me to steady himself as he leaned forwards. His eyebrows drew closer together as his eyes landed on the sheer number of people just on the first wall. If they could spare four people for the front, they definitely had more dotted around.

I heard something behind me, and thought one of the Woodbury people may have seen and come out to us, but I saw Michonne disappear around the back of the car.

"Hey! Hey!" Daryl called in a whisper, but she was gone.

"Dammit," Rick muttered, his head jerking in quiet frustration.

I glanced back, trying to see where she went, but she was already completely gone. "Should I go after her?"

"No, let her go," Rick took a step back, holding onto his bag as Daryl came around to the front, leaving me the only one still against the car to remain hidden. "Alright, we need to downsize."

He pulled the shotgun from his body and handed it to Oscar, maybe to store, I wasn't too sure. I was going to do the same with the machine gun until Rick was given a gun that was very similar to my own, making me assume that I was okay with what I had been given.

"Ain't no way we're gonna check in all those buildings," Daryl said. "Not with them guards there."

Just as they were ready, there was a crack behind us and the three gun's clicked simultaneously as they pointed them at Michonne. Rick let out a breath when he realised it was her, sending a glare my way. He was already sick of her and we hadn't even gotten inside.

Michonne flagged her hand, telling us to follow her.

"Alright," Rick muttered.

Michonne took us around the wall, and again, I understood the magnitude of this town. How did they find so many people? I wondered if they were all just people who lived here before, but even that seemed like a stretch. With the Governor just killing off other groups though, it could be that most people were here already.

It's not like I had much of a chance to ask.

She stopped at one of the walls, somewhere next to where they had piled cars on top of each other to build the height of the wall. But how? Again, it seemed unreal. She pulled at a piece of corrugated metal that made the walls, and she pulled it back.

"We can get through here."

Once we were through the wall, she immediately stopped, hidden from one side by a green wheelie bin next to us. She waited for Rick to get through, before pointing straight ahead. "They could be in there."

I thought back to what Michonne told us, remembering that she had been held by the Governor's people for stealing her swords and killing his walker's, whatever that meant. If that were the case, the building ahead of us was probably where that happened.

Without waiting for an answer, she quickly ran ahead across to the building and ducked through a doorway that was blocked from the top with wooden planks. Rick was next, taking off after a few seconds and I followed him inside.