[22] Fireside Conversations

While we were at the barn, I checked to see how secure it was because it looked like it had been standing for years and years and years. No time that I was willing to estimate at the moment. The door to the barn was locked shut with a thick wooden plank, a padlock and a chain. Like they knew that the walkers were dangerous, but if they were so dangerous, why keep them around? Being stuck in a barn was no life for people—even if they were sick.

Glenn spoke to Dale when we returned to the group and told him that he wanted to let everyone know in the morning. I left them to it, knowing it wasn't my business to get involved. Glenn was unsure about what to do, and I never pushed him to an answer. This was his decision for the good of the group.

I spent the rest of my time that afternoon waiting for Shane and Andrea to return from their run. They were taking longer than expected, and everyone in camp was getting a little worried about waiting for them, like me. Anything could be happening, there could be a herd.

Wouldn't that be something? As private and secure as the farm was, I'm not sure too that Hershel would be able to fit a herd in the barn.

The car rolled in through the gate that someone closed behind them. Dale and Carol stepped out of the motorhome and walked over to the oncoming vehicle. I joined them, needing to know what happened on the run. I stood on my toes to see through the windows and over the seats, but she wasn't there.

Only two doors opened.

Only two people got out of the car.

Shane and Andrea walked over to meet the group. I tried to hide the sigh as they approached, the threat of tears falling down my face. It would be hard for me to participate in any conversation about her.

"Anything?" Carol asked.

Shane shook his head. "Not today."

"I'm so sorry," Andrea walked over to Carol. "We'll cover more ground tomorrow."

And the next day . . . and the next day. I felt my head shake automatically, and my arms wrapped around my lower stomach. It was getting harder and harder to hear that, but I couldn't break down, not in front of Carol.

"What happened out there?" Dale asked.

"Um, I—"

I stared at Andrea, waiting for an answer that never came. Looking at her made me realise something that I didn't notice at first. Andrea's hair was dishevelled, and she had the biggest smile on her face that she was failing to hide. Her eyes were always downcast as well. Shane had nothing different about him, but he also looked happy for someone who failed to find a missing child. Glancing between her and Shane, one thought crossed my mind. Did they . . . on the run?

Why is this a question I have to keep repeating?

Excuse me while I throw up.

My nose wrinkled as I clenched my jaw, turning my head away. Gross. Just thinking about it left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I just wanted to run away from the situation. Everyone could tell what they did; I could see that from the look on their faces.

"—The place was overrun," Shane took over.

Andrea nodded, glancing up to meet his eyes, "Yeah."

As soon as the disgust passed, different feelings came rushing in. Feelings of anger or disappointment. I didn't understand why at first, but it soon hit me. Sophia was missing, and they decided that it would be a good time to have sex. It was awful, disgusting. It was almost like they didn't even care.

Even though it was my fault she was gone, I had been out there looking for Sophia every single day. Shane and Andrea promised they would be out there looking. They wasted time getting the information back that she was never in the town by sleeping together. If they couldn't be bothered to do the job, then they shouldn't have gone.