Part 16: The Chef

"Honey toast."

"The seasonal fruits assortment."

"Vanilla ice cream."

"Chocolate cake."

"Oven-baked pancakes."

"Strawberry parfait."

Fami said, reading off a menu. 

"Five each of those." Fami said, turning to the waiter standing next to the table. She sat in a cafe, across the small table from Yoshida Hirofumi, who watched her intently.

"While I did say I'd treat you..." Yoshida spoke. "I wish you'd hold back a little." He said.

"You're the one who asked to meet. It's only right  that it's you." Fami said.

...

"I didn't think you'd really show... Fami senpai." Yoshida said. "Or should I say..."

"Famine devil?" He asked, hoping to threaten her with the knowledge of her true identity.

...

"Call me Fami." Fami said nonchalantly, earning a brief look of surprise from Yoshida. 

"I've heard rumors that devils are bad with names. But an alias that low effort? Are you even trying to hide?" Yoshida asked.

"I don't care if my identity is exposed." Fami said.

"How is it that Legs hasn't killed you yet? He's been hunting you and your sisters for a while now." Yoshida said.

----------

An unknown time earlier:

Legs stood on the school's rooftop, overlooking the campus.

"Okay, I've checked every inch of this place except Bonnie's math classroom and the Devil Hunter Club... So they're either there, or I've wasted my time for the past six months..." Legs muttered to himself.

----------

"What's the purpose of this meeting?" Fami asked.

Yoshida sighed, and put a glass of water down on the table.

"Not to follow a rumor with another one, but..." Yoshida said. "There's this urban legend going around town lately." Yoshida said.

"From the prophecies of Nostradamus..."

""In the seventh month of 1999, a great king of terror will descend.""

"It's getting attention for predicting the end of humanity." 

"Society sees the buzz as nothing more than sensationalized TV and excitable students... but public safety believes otherwise."

"In an experiment, they had 30 convicts make contracts with the Future Devil on the condition of their release."

"Then, Public Safety had them ask when they're going to die."

"Suprise, surprise..." Yoshida said. "The Future Devil predicted that 23 out of the 30 will lose their lives in July 1999." Yoshida said.

...

"And?" Fami asked.

Yoshida's smile faltered.

"I know you're up to something. Public safety believes it's connected to the prophecy of Nostradamus." Yoshida said. "I came here to make you talk. If you refuse, I might have to start giving you the devil treatment." He said.

...

"The other seven..." 

Fami muttered.

"...Die this week, don't they?" She asked.