Beginnings

"GET UP!!" Shrieked Miss Wood. A sharp pain shot through Mia's side as she realised that she had been kicked. She shoved her out of bed and yelled,
"You have ten minutes and then I want you downstairs and making breakfast." She slammed the door so hard that my mirror fell off the wall and shattered. "Excellent, seven more years of horrible luck for me," she muttered.
When she slowly dragged herself downstairs, she immediately started to make up a breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast for the other orphans. The ones that were treated well. She served up the meal and awaited more orders.
"What are you doing just standing there?" She yelled, the other kids smirked behind her back.
"There are halls to clean and bedrooms to tidy so get out, and if you are not done by lunchtime I will personally punish you!" She screamed, Mia scurried off to do her jobs.
 Tears were slowly creeping down her face she hastily wiped them away with the back of her hand as I sat scrubbing at the floorboards. Alisha walked up to me, she was one of the girls in the orphanage but unlike Mia, everyone liked her she even got along with Miss Wood who seemed to favour her above the rest. She approached her looking quite proud of herself.
"Mia I just spilt stuff in my room." She said sweetly.
"Why do I care,"  Mia replied. She walked up to me and put her face close to mine.
"I mean I spilt stuff in my room go and tidy it. NOW!"
"But I am cleaning here." She protested, Alisha, leaned forward and slapped her across the face. She stormed off down the corridor.
"You better clean it now or I am telling Miss Wood." She said over her shoulder. Slowly Mia picked up her cleaning things and went to Alisha's room where there was a spilt glass of red wine on her carpet. I knelt down to pick up the glass just as Miss Wood walked in with Alisha who had a tearful face.
"I came in and she was drinking it." Proclaimed Alisha tearfully. "I tried to stop her by grabbing her arm, but she dropped it."
"Thank you, Alisha." She said Alisha turned to go and waved at Mia as she went.
"As for you. GET UP TO YOUR ROOM NOW!" She shouted at Mia. She turned and ran.
Mia was sat on her bed for ten minutes thinking about what her punishment would be this time. Miss Wood came into the room. She didn't say anything, She slapped her sharply across the face and swiftly pushed her to the floor.
"Your kind will not be tolerated here," She snarled at her "You will not be leaving this room for a long time!" She slammed the door so hard the room shook once more. Mia looked out the window longingly and decided that what was out there was absolutely terrifying, but, compared to in here it looked like a meadow with unicorns and flowers. She turned around and grabbed a plastic bag. She shoved a couple of T-Shirts and a pair of jeans and another pair of trainers into the bag. After she had tied the top and hurled it out the window.  She stuck one foot out of the window, looking over the edge she gulped that drop was a lot bigger than she had anticipated. Inhaling a deep breath and summoning all of her courage, she closed her eyes and pushed off with her hands. For a second she was weightless, flying through the sky like a bird. Then gravity happened. All she could do was lay there and blink. It only struck her then that she wasn't dead, when looking up at the window she realised a fall like that should have killed her but it hadn't. That was the last thing she thought before she passed out.

When she woke up she realised that the sun was rising. deciding that it would be a good idea to get moving, especially since when Miss Wood found that I was gone she would be furious, she set off walking her allowing her feet to choose where they would end up. As she sat under a tree in the park, she thought about what made her so different to the rest of the orphans who Miss Wood had to look after. She couldn't explain it things happened to her that didn't happen to the other children. "I guess I am a freak", she thought to herself.  When Miss Wood had shouted at her one time her hair had turned red so did her eyes and the china cabinet had exploded. Miss Wood had blamed this on her, she had picked up the nearest thing which happened to be a dart and had thrown it at Mia. The dart had lodged itself into her shoulder, Mia, of course, had run to he room crying. She ended up pulling the dart out of herself, the pain was excruciating but she couldn't say anything or she would have to face being beaten more. She was pulled out of her thoughts when a policeman leant over and grabbed her arm and pulled her up to her feet.

"Are you Mia Black." He asked.
"That's me," I replied
"Why?" I asked.
"Your guardian is quite worried about where you are she said she woke up and you weren't there why's that?" He asked.
"Dunno"  she answered.
"Well come on then. Let's get you home." After that we walked in silence inside Mia was panicking as she thought of what Miss Wood would do. After this, she was gonna kill her. They came up to the door and the policeman knocked the door was answered by Alisha who looked at Mia triumphantly. Alisha ran back into the house and returned with Miss Wood.
"Mia!" She shrieked.
"Don't ever do that again. You scared me half to death. Oh, thank you, officer, for returning Mia to me I don't know what I would do without her, she is my pride and joy along with the others. Of course." She laughed. The door closed and she turned around to look at me with a face like thunder. Without saying a word she grabbed a hold of my hair and yanked it. She dragged me up to my room and threw me in the corner.
"I will teach you to obey me." She whispered menacingly she turned around with such speed Mia didn't have time to move, she slapped her so hard she fell back against the wall.

"I will teach you what happens when you decide to disobey me!" She shouted shoving my head against the wall Mia felt blood trickle down the side of her head.
"You can't come out until I say so, and that may be a while you get half a bowl of soup a day and a glass of water until I tell you." She shut the door and walked away. Mia felt tears prick her eyes as she wiped away the blood from her forehead. hearing a screech she looked up and saw a gorgeous black owl was flying just outside her window. The owl flew in dropped a letter on her bed and flew up to one of the trees across the road. Mia turned around and picked up the letter.
Miss Mia Sasha Black
The Attic Room
Mildew Road
London