𝟭𝟯. 𝗠𝗶𝗮'𝘀 𝗕𝗮𝗱 𝗖𝗵𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 (𝗪𝗶𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗻' & 𝗛𝗼𝗽𝗶𝗻')

Mia smiled as she laid in bed texting Mark. She knew how close they had gotten. She also knew how they were keeping it secret from everybody.

She knew how Mark was doing well on their deal. She hadn't seen him flirting with anyone lately. Not even Addison.

The door opened and Esmè walked in. She smiled. "Derek is here. He's looking for you."

"Tell him I'm not here."

"Too late," Derek said as he walked in. He turned to Meredith. "Can you leave us for a moment?"

Mia groaned as she sat on her bed. She looked to him. "What can I do for you?" She asked.

"Mia."

Mia sighed as she looked to Derek. She knew he cared about her. And she was thankful. "I have nothing to say if I'm being honest. One of my babies is going to die. I've accepted that. I'm scared that my other baby will get unwell too. And I don't want to lose her too," she said.

Derek knew how she was feeling. He sighed. "I've looked into it. And I wish I could do something for you. But I can't."

"No one can. The baby is too poorly to survive. It sucks. But I can treasure the time I have with her. And then I can be the best mom to my other baby. It's the only thing I can do," Mia told him.

"Do you have names?"

Mia nodded. "Poorly girl is Ophelia-Hope. And not poorly girl is Grace-Aurora. Mark and I agreed on the names last week."

Derek smiled. He could see how much Mark had changed since the twins. He knew his old friend wanted to be a good father. And he had the belief that he would.

****

Addison stood in the lobby. She was watching Burke and Derek sucking up to the chief. She smirked as Mark walked over. "Aren't you gonna get in there? You wanna be chief, you gotta fight with the big boys," he said.

Addison shook her head. She carried on looking ahead. "Mia told me to fight like a girl. And let them measure the size of their anatomy. Let them kill each other. And then I'll be the only one left standing," she told him.

Mark shrugged. "And then there's me. There you go again. Underestimating me."

"It's not that I underestimate you. It's just that I don't think about you. At all," she told him.

"Well Mia thinks about me. And you should too," Mark said as he walked over the chief. "I was heading down to the clinic. It's opening day. And I thought it might be nice to show Dr Bailey and the other one a little support."

"Very thoughtful Dr Sloan. I'll join you," Richard said. He looked to Burke and Derek. "Gentlemen. If you'll excuse me."

****

Mia walked into the clinic. She saw how Bailey perked up. Mia smiled. "Looks good Dr B," she said as she looked to her.

"Thanks to me," Izzie said as she smiled to Mia.

Mia rolled her eyes but nodded. "I guess so," she mumbled as she walked over to Esmè. "I bet she's loving holding this over our heads."

Esmè shrugged. Bailey turned to the interns. "Welcome to the Denny Duqette Memorial Clinic. Barring any surgical emergencies, you will be working here today," she told them.

Cristina looked to Mia and Esmè. "Working on what?" She mumbled.

Bailey rolled her eyes. "Right now, Olivia will be familiarising you with the protocol for the flu vaccine."