36. The end of hope

NATALIA

I can do this. The words became my mantra, providing a fragile anchor as I stood outside the Loch Fyne Café and braced for my meeting with Councillor Ronan.

The café door swung open, unleashing a swell of sound and scent. My nerves jangled out of tune with the casual bustle around me. The warm aroma of fresh scones and toasted sandwiches reminded my empty stomach I hadn't eaten since breakfast.

"Table for one, dear?" A perky waitress appeared at my elbow, menus stacked in her hands.

"No, thank you," I replied with a brittle smile. "I'm meeting someone."

Her eyes followed my gaze while I scanned the room, and with an understanding nod, she darted back into the bustling café. My heart rate quickened when I spotted Ronan near the window. 

Taking a deep breath, I approached his table, steeling myself against the memory of our last encounter. It was all still fresh in my mind—the annoyance in his voice and the undisguised disgust in his expression as I pleaded my case.

"Natalia." His greeting was gruff, but his smile was polite when he gestured to the empty chair across from him. "Thank you for coming on such short notice."

"Of course, Councillor Ronan. I want to help however I can." The words tumbled out, my nerves manifesting in the quickened pace of my speech.

"Please, call me Tiberius. We're not at an official council meeting, after all." He signalled the waitress for another coffee. "How do you take yours?"

I settled into my seat, folding my hands in my lap to hide their trembling. "Latte, thanks."

An uneasy silence fell between us once the waitress brought my drink. I cradled the warm mug, unsure who should broach the subject first.

The tiger shifter studied me for a long moment before he cleared his throat. "I know you must be wondering why I, out of the whole Council, was asked to speak to you... The truth is, I owe you an apology. I misjudged you, and for that I am sorry."

My eyes widened at his admission, searching for any hint of insincerity. He seemed genuinely contrite, his previous hostility replaced by an almost friendly rapport. I couldn't let myself hope too much, though; our cordial exchange could end the moment we delved deeper.

"I don't understand."

"Let's just say that recent events made me realise you only want what is best for those shifters," he continued, meeting my gaze. "And I believe you're their best hope to resolve this crisis before it's too late."

I stiffened, breath catching. How could I tell him that the very abilities they needed were gone?

"But please, let's not dwell on the past. I asked you here because the Council needs your help more than ever."

"Tiberius, regarding my offer..." I hesitated, struggling to find the right words.

Ronan watched me wrestle with inner turmoil, sharp eyes missing nothing. I took a shaky breath, the truth trembling on my lips, but shame held it back.

"Perhaps we should continue this conversation somewhere more private. Too many ears here." He glanced meaningfully around the busy café, full of humans but also shifters. "Let's take a walk outside. It'll give us the privacy we need to discuss such a sensitive matter."

"Alright." I took one last sip of my coffee and followed him out of the café. 

The promise of more time before my confession gave me temporary respite, yet I knew it would not stay buried forever.