31. Devil's in the details

JAMES

Aron's paws thudded rhythmically against the soft earth. The rich scent of the forest loam filled my nostrils as we made our way through the dense woods surrounding the skulk. Natalia was away visiting her family, and I took the opportunity to enjoy some peace and quiet. My daily run was routine, but today it was a necessity to help me wrap my head around everything that happened.

Memories of last night played in my mind like a silent filmstrip, my mate's bold propositions echoing in my thoughts. She had a thirst for the darker side of my desires, a need to understand every facet of our connection. My little wolf wanted to see me, all of me—not just her mate, not just the Alpha—but the man beneath, with his own lustful appetites.

I couldn't shake off the memory of her request, the heat in her eyes as she asked me to play with others in front of her. The initial shock faded into an unexpected excitement, fuelled by her genuine craving to explore, to experience it all with me. 

And when I took her, when I let myself be enveloped by my own carnal urges, she responded so beautifully, her gasps and throaty moans of pleasure becoming my reward, my personal symphony of satisfaction. The flashes ignited a possessive shudder, a primal reaction to the way she screamed my name as she came.

Our mating marked her as mine forever. Anxiety and longing warred within me at this newfound vulnerability. She was my soul and my weakness; the very air I breathed. My everything. Yet, I wouldn't have it any other way.

As Aron cleared a fallen log with an easy leap, my thoughts inevitably shifted to the entirety of what last night meant. Whether I liked it or not, the deal was now done and I could only hope that Kerrin was no longer a threat to Natalia.

I still hated myself for the situation, but it was my mate who had thrown me a lifeline to solve my predicament, just like everything along the way had been her choice, even when I tried to push her away for her own safety.

Aron's ears perked up when something caught his attention and he froze in mid-stride.

Something's not right, he said through our mind link. I can sense a dark presence.

He skidded to a stop as a figure stepped out from behind the trees on the woodland path. The air cooled, and a knot of worry formed deep in my stomach.

A woman stood in front of us. Her eyes, glinting with a malicious intent, pierced through the daylight, leaving no doubt who it was. Kerrin.

For fuck's sake. Did I fucking summon them just by thinking about that deal?

The forest fell into an unnatural silence, the usual daytime sounds replaced by a chilling quiet. My heart pounded in my chest, each beat echoing the dread that was slowly creeping up my spine.

"James," the demon sneered, their sickly smile curling like a snake. "Out for a run, I see. Don't you have a deal to deliver on? I'm starting to think you don't realise that time is ticking."

"It's done." I bared my teeth as I snapped back at them. "You wanted her innocence taken away, and I've done it."

Kerrin let out a cackle that rattled me, making my skin crawl. "Is that what you thought this was about, taking her virginity?"

My heart lurched as an ice-cold chill raced down my spine. "What?" I croaked in disbelief, my body seizing up in shock.

"Don't get me wrong—I did enjoy your momentary illusion of victory, just like when you foolishly believed avoiding Natalia would protect her. But let's be clear—I always win."

My thoughts scattered in an instant as alarm and confusion overwhelmed me. What the fuck had I actually got myself into? "You said that in exchange for saving my life, I had to take away the innocence of my mate one day. That was the deal. You didn't mention anything else."