21. Pleasure and pain 🌶️🌶️

NATALIA

My breath raced and a fire of exhilaration ignited in my veins as I stood up from the chair and took his hand, and it had nothing with the heat lust that was doing its best to take over my mind again. 

The questionnaire was completely forgotten as James pulled me out of the kitchen and towards the stairs. My heart thudded in my chest, pounding louder with every step we made, until I could almost feel it burning in my throat.

"Where are we going?" I asked, my voice trembling with nervous excitement.

He didn't answer, but gave my hand another gentle squeeze as he continued to lead me further around the cottage, guiding me down the stairs.

He stopped at the metal door in front of us, causing my heart to beat fiercely in my chest. My palms grew clammy with nerves.

"We're here," he said, releasing my hand before opening the door.

The room was shrouded in darkness, yet I could sense the charged atmosphere that surrounded us. When he flicked on the lights, my eyes widened at the sight before me: the space was filled with all sorts of equipment that resembled what I had seen in Decadence.

Soft grey walls and dim lighting created an intimate feel, and one could have easily mistaken the space for some sleek and stylish boutique, was it not for the furniture and equipment scattered around that made it clear this was no ordinary room.

My eyes were drawn to the king-sized bed with its modern and minimal style. It looked like it belonged in a high-end hotel, except for the sturdy chains and restraints that were attached to the bedposts. The black leather chaise-style lounger was equally inviting, with its soft cushions and curved design that hinted at its true purpose.

In one corner of the room, a swing hung from the ceiling, complete with restraints that dangled from it. The mirrors on the walls by the leather armchair added to the room's allure, reflecting the equipment and furniture from different angles.

But it was the tall and narrow black cabinet with a glass door that made my heart race in my chest. It revealed an assortment of whips, paddles, and floggers, each one more intimidating than the last. My eyes drifted over to the toys and gadgets next to them—vibrators, dildos, nipple clamps and butt plugs—some familiar, others unknown, and a strange thrill ran through me.

I stepped forward, running my fingertips along every piece of furniture with wonderment. My head spun from the sheer variety of tools and toys, leaving me feeling both intrigued and a little overwhelmed.

"What is this place?" I asked in awe.

"A playroom."

A playroom. His playroom. The excitement was almost too much to contain, but I couldn't shake the sharp pang of jealousy and sadness. Playrooms were intended to be used with other people, and that meant that others had been here before me.

James cleared his throat. "I've never brought anyone else here."

Confusion swept through me at his words, and I searched for an answer in his face. "But then, why is it here?"

"I built it three years ago," he replied, his gaze not wavering from mine as if he was daring me to understand what he wasn't saying.

"Just because I know that I shouldn't have you," he stepped closer to me, his eyes dark with desire, "that you shouldn't be mine, doesn't mean that I didn't imagine all the dirty things that I would do to you in this room, Lili."

Suddenly, the truth hit me like a freight train—this playroom was never used before.

It was meant for me.