Scared kids.

"I don't know anything anymore

"I don't know anything anymore. Is that normal? Is it normal to notice the enormity of everything and just go blank?"
- A. M. Homes

——————————————————

Hemera had woken up with a sore neck, turns out pews weren't very ideal beds.
As she lifted her head up, she realized her head wasn't on a pew.
She had been lying on Carls chest, cringing when she realized she had started drooling in her sleep.

She feels eyes on her, noticing Rosita staring from afar.
The girl slowly got up, gently moving carls arm that had been snaked around her.
She quietly made her way to a smirking Rosita. "What's with the grin?" Hemera asked genuinely confused.

"I see you and lover boy are getting cozy." Rosita snickered mockingly.
"I have no idea what you could possibly be on about." Hemera avoided, stretching her limbs. "Sure you don't, and I suppose he's not staring at you right now either?" Rosita gestures in the direction the girl had just come from.

Low and behold, he was staring at her with a look of admiration, though when she caught his eye, he looked away, pretending to play with Judy.

"Friends don't look at each other like that." Rosita teased. When Rosita walked away, she was left with her own thoughts.

Did she like Carl?

I mean he did have a cute smile.

And gorgeous eyes.

..and weirdly soft hair.

Ew stop, Hemera. He's your friend.

Your strictly platonic friend.

Hemera was soon rushed away from her thoughts by a hysterical Sasha.

"Has anyone seen Bob?!" She had burst through the doors of the church panicked.

Come to think of it, she hadn't. Nor had she seen Daryl and Carol. They were probably outside, nothing to overthink.

"Or Carol and Daryl??" Maggie soon added coming in, curious about the commotion.
Hemera quickly turned to Gabriel.
"What the hell did you do to them?!" She interrogated the scared looking preacher.
"Nothing, I truly don't kno—"

"Oh cut the bullshit. You just so happen to pop up, hopeless as can be, right after our run in with terminus. That's not a coincidence! And I saw the writing on the windowsill! What the hell are you gonna burn for Gabriel?!" She harshly questioned the shaking man.

Gabriel fell to the floor in hysterics.
"I lock the door every night." The man seemed to be in a trance. Repeating the sentence over and over.
"It was so early! And I hadn't unlocked the door yet." The grown man blubbered like a baby. "I just let them die! Women and children, oh and their screams."

Definitely not what I was expecting..?

I stepped away, feeling slightly bad.

I moved behind the adults as they continued to question Gabriel.

"There's something outside!"

And I surely didn't expect what I saw next.

And what I saw was a one legged bob.
I held back a gag as I looked at the gruesome stump that was once bob's leg.
"Oh man.." I muttered to myself as I took in the sight in front of me.

Someone put their hand on my shoulder, making me flinch. I turned my head to see a frantic looking Carl.

I gave him a soft smile, trying to reassure him it was all gonna be fine. He returned it, before dropping his hand from my shoulder and moving closer to my side.

His trembling hand brushed against mine, causing me to look down.
I looked back ahead, and I softly interwined our hands, not looking away from the scene in front of us.

In that moment, we were just scared kids, destined for so much more than we got.
——————————————————

Hope you enjoyed!!

If you have any feedback, feel free to comment!!

If you liked the story, please vote!!