The rock and the hard place

There is an ache in my heart for the imagined beauty of a life I haven't had, from which I had been locked out, and it never goes away

- Robert Goolrick
——————————————————

For as long as Hemera could remember, her father was always there.

Even when the apocalypse happened, he was still there.

She always had an aching fear that one day, just like her mother, he would simply vanish.

So, Hemera did everything she could to prevent that, even if it meant losing herself.
——————————————————
"Let me go, you greasy piece of shit!" The small girl thrashed around in the man's arms as he dragged her to what looked like a storage container.

"You've got quite the mouth on you, don't ya?" He smirked down at the younger girl, spit particles leaving his mouth as he spoke.

"Don't you touch her!" Hemera could hear her father scream from a few yards away.

The man holding her opened one of the storage containers and threw her in.

Just as she had stood up, the door closed behind the man.

She pounded her fists against the door praying they'd somehow open.

Just as she gave up and she backed away, the door soon opened and her group was thrown in one by one.

Most of her group had been with her all the way from Houston, but they had recently just added four new people.

Well, technically Glenn came first.

Glenn was a super sweet guy, who wasn't too much older than her. Maybe twenty four or twenty five years old.

He had been looking for his wife, and asked— well more like begged—them to help him find her.

He must be one lucky guy, because low and behold they found her, or more specifically, she found them.

On our way to terminus, we found a huge tunnel which I vaguely remember my father calling a "long, dark tunnel full of reanimated corpses."

Glenn, Tara, and I separate from my father, Rosita and Eugene at the mouth of the long tunnel.

No way was my father gonna risk Eugene's safety going in there, when they could simply walk AROUND the deathtrap.

It would take an extra day, sure, but it would be safer.

So before we separated, everyone said their goodbyes, which ranged from my father and I have a loving moment, to Eugene being shot down by Tara.

Which was quite hilarious if I do say so myself.

everyone was saying goodbye except for Eugene. Instead of goodbye, the Bill Nye of our group decides to try and flirt, "You are seriously hot, Tara." To which the woman replied awkwardly, "Yeah, I like girls."

After one more hug, my father and I parted ways, leaving Glenn, Tara, and I to stumble upon a horrible scene—the roof had collapsed on a whole mess of biters, creating a dusty, disgusting piece of living—or atleast not ENTIRELY dead art.

We quickly decided to go over it, which led to an even LARGER group of walkers.

Just when we thought matters couldn't get any worse.

Tara's leg got pinned between a rock and a hard place.
——————————————————
Cliffhanger 😨

I hope you enjoyed the start of this book!!