twenty-three

"can you help me, yeoreum?"

"i'm truly sorry, haerin... i don't know if i could make it cause i already took a day-off for that day, remember?"

haerin heaves a sigh upon listening to yeoreum's answer, which is something she should have expected by now. her shoulders fall, arms hang loosely at her sides as the desperate feeling grows bigger and bigger.

and yeoreum cannot help but to feel sorry for her and feels guilty as well for not being able to offer the assistance that haerin wanted.

haerin is in a very need for an extra photographer for their upcoming schedule on august fifth and apparently, there will be a plenty amount of clients to take care of. she already has a crew that will handle it, the only thing she lacks is one more photographer to be in charged with the subunit photoshoot.

and in haerin's acknowledgment, her last hope she can fully put her trust onto for the duty is, none other than, her best friend.

as an employee working under haerin, who is the art director of the studio they are working at together, yeoreum already brought arise a day-off notice to haerin on seungyoun's birthday, which happened to be the same day as the mentioned schedule, as she wants to celebrate it together with her boyfriend. and haerin has given her the approval.

a surprise birthday dinner has been thoroughly arranged by yeoreum literally two weeks before the special day. she already cleared her schedule during the entire day, and has been repeatedly making sure that nothing will interfere her plan.

"look," yeoreum puts a hand on haerin's shoulder, trying to provide some sort of reassurance. "i know some acquaintances in the same field that can help you. if i am happened to reach them, would you like to give it a try?"

haerin's eyes sparkle. "yeah, of course!" she then hugs the latter's arm as a thankful gesture as yeoreum flashes an assuring smile to her.

at the same time, a ting sound pops out from haerin's computer. "speaking of the devil," she rolls her eyes. "our next client's information form is here. i shall give it a check!"

"alright." yeoreum purses her lips as both of them go back to their own desk and continue whatever work they have left behind.

as she opens her instagram app and scrolls through her following to find the acquaintances she mentioned to haerin just now, yeoreum gets reminded of seungyoun's birthday again, and all of the plans she has initiated to make that day an unforgettable moment for him and for both of them as well.

even a mere thought of that most anticipated day can make her smile ear to ear. there are around a week left before it came, and yeoreum just cannot wait any longer to see her succeed in having seungyoun to enjoy one of the most wonderful birthday celebration in his life.

her main goal is to make him the happiest birthday boy in the entire world.

"holy shit..."

haerin's cussing interrupts yeoreum's immersed thought. "language!"

"han yeoreum," haerin calls for the raven-haired, and that causes yeoreum to slightly get caught off guard by the sudden mention of her full name.

"what is it?"

haerin doesn't answer much to yeoreum's liking. instead, she sees haerin's already round eyes grow larger into wide circles, looking clearly dumbfounded. haerin's lips part in silence surprise that she slowly raises her palm to cover it, and then just yelps out of sudden. yeoreum's stomach churns upon seeing such an unexpected reaction from her housemate.