Prologue - ✟ One Last Breath of a Loved Vampire ✟

✟           Prologue       

2009 December 24

The atmosphere was cold and bitter. Neither birds nor any form of natural life was in sight. In fact, the trees were naked. They cried out in the wind because they longed for spring’s arrival.

Scattered footprints embedded the sheets of snowflakes on the ground. The students made small crunching sounds in the snow with their shoes, as they formed a circle in the middle of the schoolyard.

Within the circle was their friend. Her body - still and lifeless - on the glistening morning snow churned their insides. Her blanched skin matched with the white snow. Her lips were chapped and pale pink; not bright and full like usual. In addition, her deep misty blue eyes hid behind her eyelids. The eyes that drew you in would cease to exist.

Muffled cries tore into the piercing silence. The thought of never seeing the bright gleam in her eyes was just too much. They turned their heads at the agonizing sight of her. One student however, knelt before her.

He took her into his arms and held her close to his burning heart. Even his warm embrace was unable to give her warmth. His hands clasped tightly around her small body, squeezing the rest of the life that was left of her. She was motionless and her weight was becoming heavy as her skin colour faded even more. His eyes darkened with remorse. This was confirmation for him- she was dead.

 He recollected the memories they had together. They were small memories but they were still very important. She had told him this, but it had not dawned on him until now that her words were true. Tears welled up in his eyes and then he felt a cold presence on his cheek. He placed his hands at his jaw only to realize that tears had trickled down his face.

He laughed to himself with watery eyes. When was the last time he cried? He wondered. Not until today, when he realized he missed her dearly. He had no right for such feelings because he was guilty.

  He was guilty for all those days he caused her distress; including the time he left her in the dark when she needed him most. However, what was he to do? What was he to do if he had no choice but to go along with his mission?  Looking back was pointless as no excuse could fix the situation now. She was already dead.

 Dead and gone…