Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16:

"This sure looks classy for a black market auction," I whisper to Chase. Currently, I was somehow swept up in a mission with Chase to look for Alavar Naver. We both had our face covered with a gold masquerade mask, but mine was bigger. Thanks to the bruises and small cuts that I have on my face. My eyes then traveled to my revealing dress. Oh yeah, I was also playing bait.

"You look beautiful," Chase commented. He wraps his arm around my waist and touches my bare skin. I didn't felt the slightest comfortable but decided to just forced a smile. It's going to take all my nonexistent acting skills to get through tonight. Chase then leans in close to my ear. "Target is spotted."

My eyes shifted to the far right of the room where I can see a familiar man. Alavar Naver, he was chatting along with other men in high brand suits and two women by his side. He sure did look relaxed for someone that currently is in the run from the FBI. Chase slightly tugs me to the corner of the ballroom as he tries to keep an eye on our target.

"Remember our plan?" Chase asks.

"That's all I can think about."

Slowly the music dies down, and everyone in the ball gathers together to the top center of the building. The room darkens, and the spotlight shines in the middle where Alavar was standing. He held a cup of wine and a microphone in the other free hand.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for coming tonight to this special event," Alavar spoke. I was surprised that he spoke in a British accent. He scans the room and continues. "Before we start with the main event, I believe that dancing will be a bit fun too."

Dancing? In this situation?

"This is great," Chase mutters. "This way, we can get closer to him."

The music starts again, and everyone started to dance in pairs, Chase then gives me a glance and winks. Without making it oblivious, I moved away from him and began to blend in with the couples around me. Alavar was only a few feet away from me as he was switching partners. He held a bored expression as each partner was trying to impress him.

"May I have this dance?"

A familiar voice spoke behind me, and I quickly spun around. Niall's face was only inches away from me as his blue eyes were staring at me behind his black mask. Suddenly, I grabbed his hand, and he pulled me close.

"What are you doing here?" We both questioned each other.

"Weren't you just stabbed?" I whispered in his ear. We were close enough that nobody can listen to us, but I wasn't going to risk it.

"Well, I want to get my revenge," Niall replies. "But, this mission is too dangerous for a beginner like you."

"Are you worried about me?"

"Do you even know what's at risk if you get caught?" Niall questions. He twirls me around and then pulls me close with his arm around my waist. "You'll get kill."

"It's not like I had any other choice," I sighed. "Chase pulled me into this mess."

"Chase? What is he thinking?"

I shrugged my shoulders and stared into his blue eyes. Only remembering how awful he appeared earlier, I placed my hand behind his neck. He tensed up at my touch.

"I'm glad that you're okay."

"Idiot. These types of wounds are common."

"Even so, I don't think it hurts any less," I retorted. Niall's lips curved up to a smirk, and he then touches a small bruise under my mask. Biting my mouth, I suppressed a groan and glared at him.