11: Cub

:)

Actually I don't know if this is actually the :) chapter but it's still angsty

You'll just have to find out

:)

I'm still thinking about Xornoth as we meet on the main deck for food at sunset. We're a good way out on the water, Hermitia faded into the distance behind us, and the most exciting thing we saw was a sea dragon, swimming harmlessly beneath the waves.

'Fish or bread?' Grian asks. 'We have a lot of both but not much else.'

'We have cat food as well. For Jellie.' Scar adds, as though it is a viable alternative. There's a meow back from the cutest being in the universe, curled up happily in Scar's lap.

'Well, if you want that, feel free. The rest of us will decide between human foods.'

In the end, we get a bit of both, cooking the fish somewhat on the flaming lanterns lighting the ship. At most they're smoked slightly, but still taste good. The bread's getting stale, but I can't complain.

'So... Why are you lot heading to the Great Empire?' Scott asks as some attempt to break the ice. We all glance between each other. Grian's already uncomfortable.

'We just needed a break. Wanted to see somewhere new. Everyone says the Great Empire looks really cool this time of year...'

'This is the time of years Great Empire people head to Hermitia for Sun's Day... It doesn't look cool, it just looks abandoned.'

'Well... we'll be back for then. It's not a long trip.' I add.

'Will we?'

'I thought we'd be back by then.' I frown. 'That's why I agreed to come along. Because we'd be done.'

'You... definitely didn't tell us that.'

'I didn't have much choice! You just arrived at my home pleading for help and... I wanted to keep Scar safe.'

'Safe? Yeah... no, you're definitely not just going for a holiday.'

'No, no... I just... Always get into trouble and...' Scar's insistence cuts off at Joey and Scott's glance between each other.

'Pearl and Cleo think we stole the Dragon Egg so we're going to the Great Empire to get it back.' Grian bursts out.

Silence.

'What?'

'And... And Jimmy's dead.'

Scott's shocked silence is unbearable. He just stares at the ground, blinking tears.

'I'm sorry.' Grian murmurs.

'We had to get away before Bdubs found us and chased us.'

'We've been used as unwilling getaway drivers as well.' Martyn pitches in. Scott's still not speaking. 'We know how you feel.'

'That's... Not what you told us.' Joey frowns. 'Why shouldn't we just throw all of you overboard? Make you walk the plank. We didn't choose to be part of this getaway.'

'We didn't actually steal anything!' Scar insists, but it's too late, 'We're getting it back!'

'I need some time alone.' Silence as Scott interrupts the argument, standing, crossing to the edge of the boat and slipping overboard. For a moment I panic, but realise he's a Triton and can survive underwater.

'We didn't- we're not in danger, unless Cleo has ships. They don't know where we are!' Grian continues trying to convince Joey.

'We're not lying, dude! Please!'

'Well, if anything does happen, we're not helping you. I'm sure Scott would agree.'

'They're not that bad when you get to know them. Annoying and chaotic, but not that bad.' Doc tries to help by saying.

'Well... I'll decide in the morning when Scott gets back. Goodbye.' Joey stands, crossing to the door inside, slamming it behind.

'That went well...' Mutters Scar, just staring down as he cuddles Jellie

'They'll come around sooner or later... All of you were unwilling to join this journey.' Grian attempts to cheer us up by saying. 'It'll be fine. They can't abandon us in the middle of the ocean.'

'You think they'll - They... they can't throw Jellie overboard! They can't do and throw an innocent cat overboard.'

'Exactly, Scar! Now, it's been a busy day. Let's get some sleep and see what's going to happen in the morning.'

We dim the lanterns, lying down to sleep. It's fully dark. And by fully dark, I mean the stars are clearer than I've ever seen them. I lie down, stuck in memories of stargazing with Scar. Every star and constellation is visible... The dragon, the horse, the (as Scar used to call it) Sleeping Jellie.

'There's the Jellie constellation!' I whisper to him, pointing. No reply. 'Fighting the snake constellation. And there's the meanie bear constellation.'

'Why were you scared of Xornoth?' Scar mumbles back. Of course he's not over that either.

'It was nothing.' Memories rise in my mind. 'I was being paranoid.' I wasn't. If Xornoth was there, all of them could've been. And with the comment... They could've been after Scar. Even though he's innocent. He has no part in this.

'I know he's in True's group. Joey told me. What happened between you when I was... Gone?'

'Nothing,' I lie, 'Nothing's going on. Just old fears. About what happened last time we met.'

Scar doesn't reply. I go back to staring at the stars.

'There's the Hotguy constellation!' I point out what most called the Archer or the Hawkeye.

'Cub... What happened?'

'Nothing happened! There's the sword constellation. And the second Jellie constellation...'

'Stop avoiding the subject. What happened?'

'Scar, it's fine. There's nothing going on... Just go to sleep. Everything's ok.'

Again, he doesn't reply, just shifting to lie on his side, facing away. I stare at him. Everyone else is asleep or pretending to be.

I close my eyes and drift into the world of dreams again.

We're running down the streets of Dryadalis. They're behind us. True, and Xornoth, and Hels and EX and all of their group. But they're in armour. Like Bdubs's army. Chasing us. And they hit Scar. And take him away, screaming and-

'WAKE UP!'

I scramble up, panting for breath like I've run as far as I did in the dream. It doesn't disappear. His screams don't disappear. The same screams as when...

'Cub, are you ok?'

'Yeah, yeah.' I stand. It's day now. Grian's just slid down the rigging, a spyglass in hand. 'What's going on?'

'Ship, heading right towards us. I can't tell if it's bad, but it doesn't look good...' He passes me the spyglass. I'm quick up onto the second level, looking out at the ship to see...

No.

No no no.

My mind fixates on the flag. The sword stabbed in a V shape, almost like an anchor.

It's the True Vengeance.