24: Scar

OH 

MY 

GODS

WE

HAVE

 THE 

EGG!

I don't believe it. No one does as Oli disappears from sight. A moment passes of shocked silence before-

'DUDES!' Ren squeals. 'DUDES WE DID IT!' 

'THE EGG IS OURS!' Martyn holds it above his head. 'WE HAVE IT! WE DID IT!'

'Oh man... that was... that was not what I expected...'

'He was just the messenger... just the guy tasked with stealing the egg.' Cub figures. 'He wasn't behind it.'

'Then who sent him?'

'Pix. Obviously.' Martyn replies immediately. 'You heard him talking, insisting he had to get it to Pix, had to get it to him.'

'That makes sense... Oh man we actually won!' Ren hugs Cub, who's closest. A hug back. I just catch Cub's smile. But he's uneasy. He's still worried about True.

'Well... what now?'

'True will be waiting for us to come back. Or still coming to find us here.'

'We have to hide.'

'Now?!'

'We don't know where they've got to. She might've been waiting out for us to leave the forest still back before the mountains or be mere minutes away.' Cub's pacing. I cross over, trying to placate him with a hand on his shoulder.

'It's ok. We can do whatever you want.'

'I don't know what to do. If they come... they find us. They hurt us. They get the egg.'

'Or we fight them and win. Instead of running.'

'They killed Grian in 1 hit! You KNOW what they're capable of! We can't fight them and lose again!'

'Is there another way back to Hermitia? Another path? Could we cut through the forest another way? Take a boat from The Capital instead?' Martyn continues arguing 'Losing the egg isn't the only way this can end!'

'If they find us, yes it is.'

'DUDES! Can we just celebrate for 5 seconds?!' Interrupts Ren 'We have the egg! We're victorious!'

'Not yet.'

I hear the pain in Cub's voice as he walks away. I follow, keeping an eye on everyone behind me.

'Hey, it's ok.' I insist as he falls to the ground behind a tree.

'I'm sorry.'

'For what?'

'For causing True to be after us. Be after... you.' His admittance on the boat comes back. I see one hand raise to where they hurt him. Tears shine in his eyes.

'I thought when we got the egg... all our problems would be gone. But it's not over. It's not the end. True- True is still after us.'

'Maybe Martyn's right. We could try to fight them...'

'You don't want to fight them.' 

Cub's right.

I don't.

'We'll find a way out of this. We have before. You're smart. We've faced worse.' A pause. 'I've faced worse.'

'WHERE'S THE EGG, SCAR?'

Silence.

'Does it still hurt?' 

'What?'

'How much does it physically hurt?'