27: Ren

'REN!' I ignore Doc's yell as I stride through the forest, memories of Martyn only fuelling my rage... meeting him at his first gig, inviting him to join me, travelling around Hermitia... his laugh, his smile, his ability to stand up to people when I couldn't... he's gone.

Gone.

Gone.

Gone.

And CUB killed him. Our friend. The one who helped us this whole time. Or... we thought he helped us. He pretended he helped us. While all he wanted was the egg for himself and True... pretending he cared for me. And Doc. And Scar. And Martyn-

A clearing ahead, a familiar flash of white and gold.

Cub. 

'HEY!' I break through the trees. He turns, standing from where he was sitting next to a burnt out fire. 

'Ren, please. Get away from here. Now. True's coming. For the egg.'I shove him. He stumbles, but doesn't fall... his sword is lying on the ground where he was sitting. I grab it, pointing it at him.

'YOU KILLED MY BEST FRIEND!' I yell. 'I'M NOT LETTING YOU SIT HERE WITHOUT PUNISHMENT!'

Cub backs against a tree, hands raised, eyes wide. 

'Ren, please. You don't understand. There was no other way. He woke up and... and I had to...' 

'SHUT UP YOU... YOU MURDERER!' I raise the sword to kill him, fury filling me. He cowers - begging for me to go, don't kill me, I can stop True from hurting you... 

'REN! STOP!'

Doc. 

'Why?' My attention snaps to him standing at the edge of the camp. Scar's hiding not too far behind, expression unclear.

'Revenge isn't the answer. It never is, never has been, and never will be. Please. We can talk this out. Drop the sword.'

I don't reply. 

'Ren, drop it! It won't make you feel better.'

I let the sword fall to the ground, kicking it over to Doc, who picks if up. 

'You ALL need to go.' Cub dares to speak. 'Now. I told True to meet me here.'

'Why would we listen to you any more?!' Doc tries and fails to pull me over to where he and Scar are. 

'Because True will find you and Martyn will've died for nothing!'

'TAKE HIS NAME OUT YOUR MOUTH YOU F-' This time Doc does manage to hold me back. Cub stays close to the tree. 

'Get away from this camp. Get away from here now. True is coming here to get the egg. I took it to keep you safe and now...'

'You took it because you're on their side.'

'Why would I be on their side?! They hurt Scar!'

'You hurt him more than True ever could!' Snaps Doc. Cub falls silent. Tears shine in his eyes. 

'I know.'

'Give us the egg. I don't care what you say about protecting us, dude.' 

'Please... please I know you can't forgive me but I did this to protect you. To lure True away from you. If I give her the egg all of this will be over...'

'And what when that dragon is born? It grows up?'

'We... we tell Pearl she took it...' He makes up. 'And... she'll handle True.'

'Pearl won't believe us.' It's impossible to mask the disbelief at his lies. 'She'll take us prisoner... wait. That's what you want, isn't it? True gets the egg, we get caught, and you live your life happy with no regrets.'

'If there was another way I would've taken it, believe me!'

'You KILLED Martyn! Why would we believe you?!' Doc holding me back is the only thing stopping me killing Cub. 

'Because I did it to help you! I don't want you to get caught! I don't want True to kill you! Please... Doc... Ren...' A pause. 'Scar... please believe me.'

'We're not going to accept your lies any more.' 

'Ren...' 

'NO MORE!' 

I break free of Doc's grip, punching for his back He backs out the way, eyes wide.

'REN STOP THIS!' I avoid Doc behind, punching for Cub again. Another miss. Cub snatches a branch from the ground in defence, missing back. For a while, we all evade each other until... I punch again. Hit. Cub falls back. 

'Please... stop this. I did this to help you. I did this to protect you... protect Scar...'

'Protect Martyn by KILLING HIM?!'

'I PANICKED!'

'Ren, stop this.' Doc growls behind.

A rustle in the trees. Laughter.

I fall back towards Doc, knowing who it is immediately. Cub's eyes widen as he realises, dropping his stick weapon.

True steps into view.

'I thought you were coming alone, Cub.' Her eyes flick from Cub to me, Doc and... Scar's hiding. I can barely see him, eyes wide, staring out from behind a tree. 

'I did. They followed me.'

'Well. I'll sure they won't be a problem. Give me the egg.'

Me and Cub are equally far from it, lying on the ground. We both have the same idea, lunging for it... Cub's there first. Doc pulls me back to my feet. 

'Don't you dare.' I growl. Cub glances back to me, holding the egg tighter. 

'Now give it over.' 

'Promise me that if I give you this, you will leave every single one of us alone.'

True doesn't speak. Hels is there next to him, grinning in anticipation of getting to hurt one of us. Behind is the tall white haired EX and Scott's brother, the Triton Xornoth. I step closer to Doc.

'Promise me. It's what we agreed.'

'Hels, EX... you know what to do.'

'What do you mean?' I growl. 'What are they going to do?'

A scream.

I turn as much as Doc's grip allows as Hels reaches Scar, dragging him over to where True is. 

'NO!' Cub lunges for True, but EX is already behind him, holding him back. 'DON'T HURT HIM!'

'Ren... Doc...' He whimpers. 'Please!'

'Not your good friend Cub?' True crouches next to where Scar's been forced to his knees.  'Oh that's interesting... It appears you've lost his trust, Cub.' 

'Let him go.' 

'Give me the egg, Cub.'

'Let him go and I will.'

'Give us the egg and I'll let him go...'

'Cub don't do what they want.' Doc demands. 'We don't want to believe you're a- a traitor.'

A glance back. Why is he still pretending he cares?! Unless he actually does... does he? Does he not? He killed Martyn. He killed my best friend. A good person would never do that. Or make Scar as upset as he did.

'Please...' Scar sobs. 'Let me go...' 

Cub looks at me and Doc. I shake my head.

'Give us the egg Cub and prove you're a good friend.'

'You'd risk the life of poor poor Scar?' Hels holds the knife closer. Scar lets out another whimper.

Cub glances between us. He's torn. Why is he torn? Why is he hesitating?! 

'Give us the egg.' Doc repeats.

'Give us the egg or Hels will kill Scar.' 

'Fine.' Cub hands over the egg.

To True.

:)