9: Scar

I stifle a groan as I try to sit up... Where am I? What happened? Where's...

I was shot. I was hit.

We were surrounded.

'Cub?!' I finally sit up. He looks over. Safe. We're safe? Are we safe?

'Scar... Are you feeling ok?'

'Yeah... Yeah I'm... Ow... Where are we?'

'Grian's old home. He's... Gone off to sleep. Doc's done the same. Not sure where Ren and Martyn have gone.'

'Doc?'

'He helped us. Helped you. Is helping us get back the dragon egg.'

'Wow... That's cool.' I take in the room around... Well, almost room. A lot of the walls are gone, and a smell of smoke lingers in the air.

'Yeah.' His tone shifts, to more... Guilty? Like he regret getting more people involved too.

'Doc chose to help us.' I remind him. 'You don't have to feel bad about it. Besides, it was all Ren and Martyn's idea.'

'I...' A pause. 'I wish I'd been able to help you myself.'

'Cub...' I shuffle closer, hiding a wince of pain. 'It's ok. I'm safe. And we'll get the egg back in no time from... Wait where are we even going?'

'We... Don't know where we're going.' Realised Cub with a laugh. 'Wow...'

'Well...' I finally manage to sit up 'We can figure out... Where do you think it would be taken?'

For a moment, Cub considers as I try to recall Grian's suggestions.

'I think whoever stole the egg took it to The Great Empire. Across the sea. But don't take my word for it.'

'Really?' Again, I move closer, ignoring the constant pain.

'Yeah. King Pix would be very happy with it for his collection... And there's a lot of money you could get from it there. Enough...' Another pause. 'Enough to buy a new life for whoever took it.'

'You think it's just one person?'

'I don't know.'

We both fall silent. Cub eventually sighs, turning back to me.

'You should get more sleep. Get back your energy and health for the days to come.'

'You should sleep too.'

'I'm fine.'

'Cub.' I insist. He sighs.

'Fine. I'll sleep too.' I watch as he lies down, facing away, before doing the same. I smile.

'I missed you.'

But he's already asleep.

It's another while after waking that we're back on the road again. My injuries are basically healed - whatever Grian had stored in his home worked miracles - and conversation arises quickly as we head off towards Seadragon Port and beyond that, the Great Empire.

'What's the word for a group of criminals?' I wonder aloud at one point once we've reached the main road. 

'A deception?' Is Martyn's best guess. 'Why?'

'We need a group name!'

'Well... we're not criminals. We haven't done anything wrong. Why would we be called criminals?' Grian reminds me.

'Uhh, you stole our wagon and accidentally kidnapped us. And you ran away from the Elf Queen herself. And Cleo.'

'We're more... fugitives. On the run, but didn't do much wrong.' Suggests Grian, ignoring Ren's comment

'A stealth of fugitives?' Cub offers from inside, probably trying to organise or steal the supplies there.

'We're more a disaster of fugitives.' Doc grumbles half-jokingly.

'A disaster of fugitives. That... definitely works.' Grian laughs. I have to agree, nodding from my position on top of the wagon.

'What have any of us actually done... right?' Ren questions

'Finding Cub. That was a good idea.' I answer, then add, specifically to Grian sitting next to me. 'My plan worked.'

'Oh shut up Scar. Or I'm pushing you from the wagon and abandoning you.'

'You wouldn't dare.' 

'I would. You don't know what I've done.' 

'You've left a poor poor friend to die after pushing them off something?'

No reply.

'Too soon...' I hear Doc mutter as Grian falls silent, fiddling with Jimmy's canary feather necklace. I curse my lack of tack. He told us the whole story just this morning.

'As we said, a disaster of fugitives.' Martyn attempts to repair the conversation with.

'Heh... Yeah.' Grian smiles.

'Sorry.'

'It's ok. We all make mistakes. Besides, you've been left behind enough already.'

'Ooh... Low blow.' I can practically hear Cub's wince from below. I fake a laugh.

'I deserved that one...'

The journey and conversation continues all the way to Seadragon Port, the best way off the island towards The Great Empire. And we've barely arrived at the seaside village when a half-fish person runs over, hair blue, hands webbed. He smiles.

'Grian! What brings you back here?'

'Hey Scott!' He jumps down from the top of the wagon. 'We're on a quest.'

'You and... The bad boys?'

'Nah, we're a new lot. Hey Scott.' Martyn jumps off the wagon, Ren waving over from where he's steering.

'Ren? Martyn? You know Grian too?'

'You know Scott too?!'

'Am I the only one who doesn't know who Scott is- Cub, Doc, do you know who he is too?!'

'Yeah... Me and Scott go way back...' Cub joked. 'Nah, we don't. I'm Cub. The other tiefling Scar's my friend and... You probably know Doc.' He and Scott shake hands.

'I'm Scott. I'm a Triton... Me and Jimmy were good friends... How's he and Joel doing?'

'Joel's back with Etho again and... Jimmy's... Being Jimmy.'

'Do you have a boat we can hire?' Martyn saves the situation with 'We're heading across to the Great Empire. All of us.'

'Yeah, of course. Is the horse coming too?'

'Fernando can stay here with the wagon.'

'But Jellie's coming.'

I can't fight my surprise as Cub brings the cutest being in the universe out of the wagon.

'JELLIE!' I scramble off, not caring how much it hurts, practically snatching her from Cub's arms 'Oh my goodness... Hello, Jellie...'

'I was going to tell you earlier but... There was never a good point.' Cub's explanation doesn't matter. I get to cuddle Jellie again.

'How long has she been here?!' Doc bursts out. 'Where have you been hiding her?'

'I found a nice place in the back of the wagon she likes.' Cub strokes Jellie too. I can't stop smiling, just cuddling her.

'Well... The boat?' Is Grian's best attempt to return to topic. Scott nods.

'Yes, the boat... Me and Joey can sail you across the water, but it'll cost you a bit... Less if you bring your own food and if I get to cuddle Jellie too.'

'Yeah... Yeah...' I agree, though not hearing exactly what he said. 'Of course.'

'Perfect! There's a wagon park on the shore where you can leave the wagon, and then we can set off as soon as you want.'

Yeah... I kept forgetting/not having a good point to reunite Scar and Jellie

But it happened now

And Scott's also here

:D