Heading to Alabasta!

Hello, minna-san! Yep, author-hime is back after like 20 years! Sorry about that! Yeah, I have no excuse whatsoever, other than I'm lazy XD *avoids snails and broccoli being thrown at me* Welp, enjoy this chapter if there's anyone out there actually still reading this! I kinda forgot everything that's going on too so ;A; Note: The next part where Hotaru is teaching Akira how to use a sword was influenced by the teachings of Syrio Forel in the novel A Game of Thrones. Heh.

Akira's P.O.V.

"Akira-chan, you said you wanted to learn about swordplay?" A man with dark, dark black hair and mesmerizing yellow eyes asked, coming into a little girl's room. The girl had bright purple hair pulled into pig tails, reading one of her favorite manga. She was very concentrated in the story, but the mere mention of swordplay made her forget about all else and she quickly glomped her older brother.

"Yes! I did! You're going to teach me?!" She asked excitedly, smiling brightly at her older brother. Her brother, Hotaru, nodded politely, but rose a finger before Akira could rush to get her wooden sword stick.

"Before that, you need to understand some things about being a swords-woman." He said, his tone becoming more serious. He sat on her bed, and patted the seat beside him. She happily obliged, curious as to what he had in store for her that wasn't training.

"When you're handling a sword, you need to be quick and quiet as a snake, yet calm and silent as still water. You need to learn to see, not watch. Watching is not seeing. An opponent's movements helps you predict what side they're going to attack, or what they're planning to do." He said, talking slowly and precisely. "Do you understand?"

Akira nodded, "I need to be strong and quick, but also calm and quiet to put the enemy at a disadvantage, right? And interpret their moves?" She was so eager to learn how to handle swords that she put every fiber of her mind into understanding what her brother was trying to tell her.

"Yes, very much so." Hotaru confirmed. "But listen closely. This next thing is probably most important." He furrowed his brows, a serious expression overcoming his face. "You need to be calm when battling. Don't let fear overcome you. The person who fears losing has already lost. Do you know why?"

Akira tilted her head in confusion, not quite grasping what her brother was trying to explain to her.

"Fear cuts deeper than swords." He said swiftly, eyeing Akira to see her reaction. She was surprised and confused at the very least. "A man filled with fear is affected. Their movements become reckless and out of place, they become loud and all over the place. And most of all, they become weak. They become an easy target for their opponent. So, Akira, whatever you do, do not submit to fear."

Akira grasped the topic with both arms, suddenly becoming intrigued by this concept. She nodded, a fierce expression on her face. However, her brother only chuckled and ruffled her hair. He went for the door, but Akira tugged at his shirt. "But? Aren't we going to practice?"

Hotaru shook his head, and knelt down in order to become face to face with his little sister, "Maybe next time." And he smiled everlastingly. Akira pouted, "But... But why?"

"Akira, you cannot die." He mumbled, cupping her face in his hands. "People will come after you. I am the dagger hidden underneath your pillow (A/N: Shuu! XD); I will protect you. But it is true that you need to train. One step at a time, my wayward sister (A/N: Carry on my wayward son~). You will experience happy things, things filled with sorrow. But remember, hope will never die." (A/N: Am I the only one who hears Lucina's voice when reading "Hope will never die"? XD)

Akira was a bit startled at hearing all of this, and her curious eyes stared up at her brother's mezmerizing ones. However, he laughed again and booped her nose. "No need to worry about these things now, though. Want to come for some icecream? (A/N: This reminds me of Axel from Kingdom Hearts XD)"