Chapter 5

...

The time passes by extremely fast since the duo faced the crowd of zombies pouring out of the gate.

Drake and the little dragon keep on killing the zombies, mainly consisting of students. He was glad that as he killed the zombies, he didn't see his sister in the crowd.

His school was understaffed that's why the majority of the zombies consist of students. 

It's quite weird to see zombies in nurse outfits. Drake couldn't believe that he would one day see these scenes that he only saw in anime on a cosplay event arc. 

And since Drake was a nerdy type guy, he rarely goes outside. Thus he didn't know that there's also this kind of event on a carnival haunted house section. 

...

When Drake saw that the numbers of zombies dwindled, he forced his way inside the gate. 

After getting inside, he shut the gate closed, locking it up. 

He was now in a rush and didn't have time to completely annihilate the zombies. 

Drake brute forced his way on the hallway towards the school facilities. While Betelgeuse flew over the gate and followed Drake closely. 

With Drake's agility, zombies can't catch up to him with their pitifully low amount of points in agility in these early levels. 

Drake's school was a combination of both hospital and school. His sister works here as a nurse and also as a part time professor. 

He walked on long hallways as he checked every room he passed by.

He wasn't so surprised that the school was eerily silent. 

It has already been around three hours since the system descended and zombies started appearing.

By now, people should've been somewhat aware that the zombies are sensitive to sounds. 

It was also no surprise that he didn't see anyone attempting to fight the zombies. After all, this is a school and hospital premise. 

They don't have any necessary tools to deal any significant damage towards the zombies though skin. 

And unless they inflict enough damage on the head or severed it's head on their neck, Zombie's can't be virtually killed since they would just keep on regenerating.

And the despairing fact that once they get grasped by the zombies, it's pretty much game over for them. Since the strength of a zombie is about double of that adult human, their grasping power is no joke.

One of the people who had the weapon to take on zombies was now lying dead near the entrance gate. The guard on the entrance has become a mindless zombie who got slayed by Drake as he seized the guard's gun.

Though there's also other guards on duty here, Drake was sure that they would be doomed if they actually fired a shot of their service firearms. This is a closed compound after all. 

With the loud sounds made by a gunshot, the zombies on every building would mob their way towards the location of the noise. 

As Drake walks on a long hallway, he hardly encounters any lone zombie. It's always a group of two or more zombies loitering around. 

This further Drake's assumption that the survivors here were in hiding. 

There is also the possibility that the people here have already been wiped out and only zombies remained. 

That means his sister was also...

Drake shook his head and slapped his left cheek that wasn't holding his butcher knife, leaving a red mark on it.

"... damn, I almost jinxed it." Drake muttered in a frustrated tone.

Drake's action made the baby dragon roar in an inquisitive tone. 

It seems it can sense Drake's restlessness. 

"...ahh. Don't worry, I just thought of something stupid."

Drake patted it's head to assure that there's nothing to worry. 

Betelgeuse could only make a one last small roar worriedly as it stared at Drake's restless face as they resumed their search.

...

While Drake and the dragon dou continue their search on the lower floor, there's a depressive mood permeating on the upper floor.

A number of people were seated on the floor while some of them were standing near the stairs, barred with a hospital bed and a bunch of chairs stacked upon each other. 

One of the women in the group was absentmindedly listening to the conversation that was ongoing in their group. 

Her mind was into something else. 

She was thinking whether her brother was fine, or did he manage to survive this ongoing hell. 

"Oh god... when will the police come to our rescue? It has already been three hours." One of the old women spoke. She's one of the professors at this school. 

While she didn't particularly speak to anyone, another person spoke.

"Maybe there will be no rescue at all. Do you guys think that, that bunch of freaks only appearing in our school?" The man snickered as he posed his own question. 

"I bet that the people who are supposed to come to our rescue are also busy running for their lives." As he spoke the following, he scanned the people around. 

His eyes paused on the beautiful professor who seemed absentmindedly thinking about something for a moment.

Right now, a malicious idea is brewing inside his head. 

He then nudged with his foot the guy next to him, signaling something using his eyes. 

The guy who seems like his friend quickly catches up to his eyes signal because of his words earlier. 

They look into each other's eyes, as if communicating through their eyes, smiling at each other. 

"So what are we supposed to do now? I...I...wanna go home." 

One of the girl students with eyeglasses spoke up while her eyes were reddening. She seems ready to burst into tears.

"Heh...what else can you do? There's nothing you can do but either stay here and wait till you starve to death or leave for those freaking zombies to eat you hahaha!" The guy who kept on speaking earlier laughed sarcastically towards the girl with eyeglasses. 

He purposely kept on provoking and agitating everyone in the group, which he succeeded in doing. 

The girl with eyeglasses finally broke down. With an angry outburst, she lashed out verbally towards the guy who keeps on taunting everyone. 

"Can you please shut up Charlie!" She shouted angrily towards the guy.

Charlie, who keeps on taunting everyone, only smirks at her and says– "...or what?"