𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈, 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃

THERE'S A DISGUSTING FEELING THAT WASHES OVER WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE AN EXIT STRATEGY

I was feeling it deep in my chest, knowing that I couldn't go outside this room and that so many people were frantically calling and texting one another from all over the Clocktower.

Alec promised Renata and I that he didn't remember what happened before he was given the idea that he had to search for his Gameboy. It took some convincing, but I knew even before Renata began to believe him that Alec was indeed telling the whole truth. So much of what he described the feelings as, the confusion and dizziness reminded me of what I was used to when I was captive.

Memories were erased from one of the top Guards, who knew who else was feeling this way.

The boy didn't remember the face of the man, I couldn't either, and that frustrated Renata to no end. The young woman had shut down, refusing to talk about it further, rather, she was now furiously mashing the buttons on her phone to send out text after text.

We'd been like that for over three hours, nobody giving any news other than everyone was alive in the chat and nobody but Chrissy had been taken. That was good news, I supposed. I myself hadn't been nabbed and had my memory wiped of whatever good things had happened in the time I'd been here. I couldn't handle forgetting all of this, too many good things filled my life now.

Yet, I mourned for the idea that Chrissy's mind could have been wiped already, sending her back to square one.

Her head could be filled with delusions from him that I had left her in some way, which I hadn't. Despite us clearly not being on speaking terms, losing what she had gained, autonomy, was a terrifying thought that I couldn't bare thinking over as I was trapped within Alec's room.

Alec seemed to be deep in thought as well. Every time I looked over, he was staring either at his phone or at the ground. He barely reached for the phone, though, and did not seem to answer anything that came up in the chat from anyone.

The poor boy did not deserve to have his memories taken from him either, and I decided then and there that if anyone questioned his story that I'd defend him.

His strength and now his vampire power was not something anyone could overcome.

"Do you have any idea when the alarm will shut off?" Renata asked Alec, who had been in the Volturi for a lot longer than the younger vampire. "It's getting annoying."

"One of the Kings has to manually shut it off," Alec responded, his voice dead and lifeless. I really hoped that this situation wouldn't crush the poor boy's spirit, which was usually shy but lively in other ways. "Caius and Marcus are the only ones home."

"Aro said that he's coming back." My ears perked up at the mention of the final King who hadn't been home in over a week.

"When did he say that?" Alec questioned. "He's supposed to be dealing with that Newborn Army in Forks, the one lead by Victoria. I doubt the Cullens will be able to handle that on their own."